Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i normally dont run rear speakers. i have a great set of Focal components in the front being pushed by a 150w RMS amp, and normally run the rear channel audio to a sub in the trunk... But this is my first vert... I'm wondering how well a sub will work in the trunk with the top down.

My thoughts are to pull the side panels off the back and remove the factory speakers i saw hiding in there. Cover the body, any wiring under there and the inside of the body panel with plastic and filling it with expansion foam so i get a mold of the inner space. Once that is set up Im going to remove it and if its large enough (I need about .3 - .5 cf) I'm going to inset a MDF ring and fiberglass it all for a 5.25 or 6 inch sub. I figure that if I do this on each side i should have a decent setup for bass. Not earth shaking by any means, but decent for cruising around.

also another issue that I want to solve is my alternator... this is a stock 86 V6 3.8. from what i have read it came with a 65 amp alt. what are my options to upgrade this? I dont want to have my headlights and everything each time my bass hits. i have already done the "Big 3" wiring upgrade, but would love to find a 100 or 130amp alternator.

any thoughts on any of this?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
for the alternator, get a 3g alt of a 95+ mustang. 35$ at the junkyard. youll have to run 4gauge wire from the alt to the battery, alongside the stock wiring.

for the subs, i think your on the right path with glassing in enclosures. but your going to need some strong drivers and a powerful amp to make it worthwhile with the top down.

something like this wouldnt be bad,
JL Audio 6W3V3-4 6.5" 4 ohm Car Subwoofer (6W3V34)

although im not a fan of JL its the first i could find. might want to some searching around for more products.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is the one's i was looking at. TangBand Sub I saw the JL's that you linked, and while nice, Im also going to need to look at the mounting depth. I dont want to have to mod the interior panel. These are 80RMS and 150 Peak. i currently have a 400w RMS crossfire amp that I will use and just turn it down a bunch.

Im not worried about earth shaking bass, I just want a bit so that my music sounds better. Right now My components up front have the low freqs cut off from the crossovers....

as to the alternator, i think Im gonna hit a couple bone yards tomorrow and see if i can find one. does the alt you are talking about mount the same as the one on my 2002 GT? if so my 86 is totally different....

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
yeah it mounts almost exactly the same. i had to use a different bolt/nut but pretty much the same.

about how much mounting depth are you gonna have?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure. hope I get a chance to work on it tomorrow a bit. Im trying to keep it fairly shallow. I was looking at the kicker 6.5s as well. they are less than 3 inches top mounted, where as the JL are just over 4. Sealed enclosures for both are about .2 - .3CF, so that should be fairly easy to do since Im making a foam mold.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i built a custom box for my vert. running a type r 12. box is ported 1.7cu tuned to 34hrtz. it sounds pretty good even with the top down.

thing is it takes up the entire trunk along with the battery. so i'm putting in a sundown sa 8 soon in hopes to get a smaller footprint back their. here is a link to a guy that did what your talking about. i just caint see their being enough room their to put in a nice sub. Bill Lawrence's Car Audio Page
pretty great idea but their is no way my sa8 will fit their. i'll be tearing into the rear panels soon to fix my quqter windows. i'll do some measuring when i'm in there though.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea. i know Im not fitting an 8" or 10" in the panel, but I want just a lottle more bass than my front components are giving me... I noticed that I still have the factory speakers there.... think I might just hook my sub amp to them and see how long it takes them to go pop. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I want to re-use the subs from my Malibu, and those are 12s, so naturally the box didn't fit. Haha. I plan on making a couple custom boxes to stick them in there, 'cause I like them too much to sell them :) I plan on having them in the corners under the trunk lid, so you can see them as soon as the trunk is open. But since I'm a noob and already bought the MDF, that's what I'm making them out of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts