Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 87' 5.0 GT that has a worn block, I want to put a re-manufactured block in it from a 79 F150. Will the cam, heads, etc bolt right up to it?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I dont know...I thought roller cam blocks were 1985 and up though:dunno

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
no, its a non-roller motor.

and why not just have your current motor rebuilt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because this motor only has 10,000 miles on it. Could I just buy a cam for that motor to make it work?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
not a roller cam from what i understand

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Ive heard that your limited when you convert a block that was meant for hydraulic lifters and convert it over to a roller. I think it had some thing to do with the lifter bores in the older block being shorter and you cant run that big of a roller cam. I'm not 100% on that

Why are you so dead set on this 79 block are you getting it for free ? short and long block 302s rebuilt don't cost that much

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well The 79 block was gift from my dads old 79 F150 Because he can't drive it anymore and I tore his truck apart and took the motor out and I don't want it to just sit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think you need to have a roller cam to get it to fit. Your intake and oil pan and all the accessories should fit on the 79 motor but the firing order might be different.
But if you just want to know if it will fit ,, Then yes it will fit but you will need to take a lot of stuff off the mustang motor and use them on the 79 engine. But you can use the motor as it is. Use your oil pan and all the accessories off the mustang motor.
The blocks are not the same inside but they interchange.

never mind I just reread your post i thought you wanted to put the whole engine in
opps

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Link bar lifters is what you'll need which is what those retro fit lifters are. They're not all that cheap. Those for 330 isn't terrible actually. That bottom end is also a 28oz balance rotating assembly vs. your 50oz in your car currently. That's not a bad thing, but you cant just take your flywheel and throw it on that block or it will tear itself to pieces. You'll need a 28oz flywheel.. assuming you're stick. If you're automatic I have no clue if that applies to the flexplate or not because I don't know **** about autos. Other than that, the heads and intake will bolt on fine. The firing order is dictated by the cam. You'll need the HO/351 firing order cam in there if you want to use your EFI stuff because if you put a non-HO firing order cam in there your injectors won't be firing at the correct time in relation to your spark firing order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts