Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys my name is kenneth and i just got an offer i couldnt refuse i just buying me a 87 mustang 5.0 5 speed for 400 bucks! im psyched!!! :D:D nothing wrong with the car the owner wanted to get rid of it! the only thing is fixing fuel pump (dows this car have a fuel pump switch??? if it does then thats the issue :D because he said it started to choke out and it stopped running. it happened to my 91 stang 5.0 when i hit a curb hehehe) a new clutch line and the steering column bolt tightened up on the rack and pinion thats it! so what mods should i get it already has flowmaster 40 series. should i drop in an x303 cam will it work on the stock engine??? i love the way it sounds :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
180 bucks is cheap for a cam :D way better than puttin in cams on my 07 titan when they do come out theyll be 1200+ bucks!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
camming a stock 5.0 is a waste of money, better off getting some gears , underdrives, bumping the timing, investing in some sticky tires and some suspension work, then exhaust, while you are messing with the fuel pump you might as well drop in a 190 or 255 pump

my usual combo is 373s, weld rims ( i hate stock 5.0 wheels ) , dragradials and a 125 shot of nitrous, this never fails to get 12.40 timeslips and wins a ton of races on the street ( i've done this to 4 bone stock mustangs 3 5 speeds and 1 aod )

i've had other combinations but this is a very inexpensive reliable proven combo that'll win a lot of races

·
Registered
5,029 Posts

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Listen to these guys here, they are telling you the total truth...

Also, yes, a cheap $180 cam does nothing more than makes your car sound (Better) but the performance is just the same as a stock cam... Even with my F-Cam that came with mine when I bought the car from craigslist, it has no big difference in sound and performance is ever so slightly better than stock.. If I were you I'd start with these easy to make horsepower mods...

BBK Underdrive Pulley Kit
BBK Shorty Headers or Full lenths(Cost merely the same if not slightly more)
If you have the stock "Candy Cane" sized exhaust pipes... finish off with your exhaust setup to 2 1/2" or even 3" if possible
Electric Fan Setup (Remove the Clutch Fan(Stock Fan))
3.73 Gears
Ceneterforce or King Cobra Clutch(If it's a 5 speed)
Autolites Spark Plugs
10w30 Synthetic Oil
87 Octane Gas
Go to a professional and get your car timing correct the first time or find a friend that knows what they are doing and have them do the timing.

If you have any more money you can even pay yourself and get a MSD 6AL or MSD 7 Ignition Box.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
btw invest in a timing light and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a guage , these 3 things will pay big dividends down the road as you continue to upgrade your stang

·
Registered
5,029 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
thanks for the help guys im keeping it an sd car :D no maf for me :D

no kiddin....why do you wanna stay sd.....im not saying you cant make good power with the sd......darrel will tell you he has made some serious power but i dont think it is near as easy especially for someone that isnt really experienced

1 - 20 of 30 Posts