Modded Mustang Forums banner

88 5.0L LX Notch VS. 2013 5.0L GT convertable

2K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  captjanes 
#1 ·
i am thinking about buying a 88 5.0l lx notch. my brother has the 2013 5.0l gt convertable. where will i stand along side him in a race or will he blow me away? his car is stock but mine had a ford racing cam, flow master exhaust, long tube headers, k&n cold air intake, 4.10 gears. just wondering what i can do for mods so i can keep up with him. i think my car would have 225hp maybe and his got 420hp

#6 ·
YUUP your prett much screwed lol, my buddy has a new 5.0 6 speed with exhaust and intake and it's pretty impressive, I ran him in my car and beat him but I'm pushing 450+ hp and it wasn't by much, problem is my car hooking vs. his car hooking I spun first second and a little third he spun first and a little second and started hooking. Spray the hell out of it, 1loudgt that's funny ****

#7 ·
Time out, check out Pushrod91's Track...Nov17 video, on this thread. He has a stock 5.0 motor with alot of suspension mods/slicks and he eats up his buddies 2013 GT without issue in the first race of the video.
That was with no spray. With spray it would have been a worse ass beating. Verts are heavy, the notch is light, if you can hook I think you would do ok in the 1/8. He's gonna blow by you in the 1/4. Do some suspension upgrades and spray.

#17 ·
I guess I was just making the point that Pushrods 5.0 has a stock 200,000 mile motor in it, and in the video he took that 2013 GT to task.(In the 1/8) Granted from watching the video he knows how to drive and from reading his build thread he has done alot of suspension work to it. A stock 2013 Mustang GT Convertible weighs 3800 lbs and the quarter mile time reported was a 13.3. In looking up the specs on a Stock 1988 Mustang LX Notchback it weighs in a 3035 and there were 1/4 mile times listed between 14.5-13.9. With the 4.10's this car is reported to have, some suspension work, and slicks, it is not unrealistic to think that this Notch could have a chance against the 2013 GT Convertible in a drag, especially in the 1/8. We don't know if either of these guys know how to drive. I don't think the kid would look stupid for trying. I thought the OP was taking straight drag racing, which he clarified he was not. As far as running around town, highway, etc, he is going to get eaten up by the 2013, it's a far superior car. It appears he has to buy this Notch before we find out.

#8 ·
yeah thanks alot for reminding me i am gonna get my a$$ handed to me lol i already had that feeling but what easy mods or bolt ons can i do to give me alittle more hp maybe a bigger tb or a programmer or msd ingitions stuff like that.. im new to the mustangs just wondering what i can do for alittle extra.. later on i plan on rebuilding the engine adding either a supercharger or twin turbo (leaning more towards twin turbo) but thats a few years later.. and u guys all talk about 1/4, 1/8 mile im not talking about drag srtips. we have very few of them here (newfoundland, canada). im juts talking about a back road and just pulling out and having some fun.. and dont take it the wrong way. im not a hard a$$ tearing up the town or chasing from law enforcement. i just like to pull out around my brother or my friends (who drive turbo 4 cylinders) and blow them away. and id like a nice loud exhaust where u can hear raw power and the car shakes when u rev it up.. i dont care if its a 10 second car cause i will never take it to a drag strip thats not my thing.. yet haha.. hope this clears up alittle on what i am looking for.

#18 ·
With my lx with a H/C/I setup I don't have problems with bew 5.0s at all.. Granted i have suspension work as well and full exhaust too... they are quick but i believe they aren't untouchable...

#19 ·
so i done alittle research and i think i may do an gt40 head and cobra or explor intake mod and msd ingition and tb spacer.. i got aouple questions regarding the heads.. what model and year of explor do i look for? and will the intake for the same make model be good or sould i source a cobra intake? the car has a ford racing cam will this works with the gt40 heads? how do i tell what kind of cam it is?

#20 ·
gt40 heads, cobra/explorer intake, and full bolt on's and you would only keep up with him, if you had good tires and could drive your ass off.

You are going to need to high dollar stuff to keep up/beat him.

I've watched a bunch of new 5.0's at my track. only guy I knew of his mods for sure had full bolt on's and full exhaust running 2 tenths slower then my best, (before the blower) and I consider my car pretty quick (driver sucks). I wouldn't consider the guy of the 2012 5.0 that great of a driver ether, we are probably comparable in skill.

Stock 2012+ 5.0 you are going to need a good h/c/i set up. Think an aggressive trickflow kit with full bolt on's and supporting mods too.

OR a decent supercharger/turbo, or a 150shot

#33 ·
how much would aluminum heads cost me and where is teh cheapest place to get them and wa model do i need to get.. im just exploring my head options.. if i could buy aluminum heads with the 1.7 rockers and all ready to go then maybe i will just buy those and bolt right on.. we dont have many junk yards around my neck of the woods and they usually wont strip down engines u have to buy the whole engine. can i use stock pushrods or do i need longer/shorter/heavier ones?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.