Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently, as in the past two weeks, my wonderful little mustang has been running a little rough. It started out when I went to Purdue to visit some people. As I was going up a steep hill it felt as though one of the cylinders wasn't firing as I got towards the top. It kinda gives the same feel now as I accelerate.

Today it tried something new by while idling the tach would bounce up by about 250 rpms only for a second and go back down. Kinda as if one cylinder was doing extra work. I am completely baffled on this and I haven't had achance to look in to what could be the problem under the hood because I don't have any of my tools here at college with me.

Anyone got any ideas as to what this is?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
plugs wires cap and rotor

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced those not too long ago. I really hope this isn't the case because they only have at most 6,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my tach used to jump a little and then settle back down at idle...i used some "seafoam" to clean the IAC (took off,placed into seafoam right up to plastic part,used a q-tip to clean...let dry and put back on) problem solved

you might also try using some seafoam to clean out all the crap...

(used seafoam (used 1/3 can threw vacuum line)...pour slowly and keep engine revs about 2000-2500 (i did threw brake booster vacuum line,and put a small funnel into line and poured slowly...1/3 can in about 4-5 min) turn off engine,let sit for a good 10 min,then drive it for 15-20 min like you "stole it"..be prepared to white smoke out your neighbourhood)

you might also try cleaning out throttle body (i used soft toothbrush and paper towels)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MAN I don't think i have seafoamed this beast yet. I LOVE THAT STUFF THOUGH. maybe i'll do that today and at the very worst I get some cool white smoke :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I haven't driven it yet but I think the spark plug wire that was almost all the way popped off might have something to do with it ;) I'm a doo doo head if this is what it is. And never again am I buying wires from autozone. Anyone got a good brand they like to use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts