Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the stang world but I already have the fever. I have a basicly stock 89 LX. It has a cold air intake with 65mm throttle body, Long tube headers, and Magnaflow exhaust. New t-5 WC. My question is, I want to put a nasty cam in it but I have heard that the ford motorsports B and E 303 are outdated. Can someone point me in the right direction. Also, I have stock heads so i want to know how much lift i can feasibly obtain without kissing the pistons. also have a gt-40 lower intake sitting on the shelf. Is there any aftermarket uppers that will bolt up to it. Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
hey. before you think about cam, get some gt-40 heads, then go with the F303 cam. the B and the E in just my opinion dont cut it from stock camshaft for the money you pay.

As you start getting more mods, the camshaft will start to "kick in" more.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you're just looking for a nasty lope, you can look into some of the abc cams. I don't know if there are any that don't require valve spring upgrades.

On a stock 5.0 you're not going to see much from a cam, you're actually likely to lose some low end power.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. you got any idea what lift will work under stock heads. I was told that the stock heads on these were E7TE or something like that and that they were pretty good heads to begin with.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
if you want to install a cam with stock heads you are only going to gain a little bit of HP
with stock heads.you are much better off installing aftermarket heads.stock E7s make peak airflow at only .450 lift and it really doesnt flow that well.in the least you should get a pair of gt40 heads from a 5.0 explorer to take advantage of a cam.

·
Registered
301 Posts
everyone on here will recommend doing other stuff before you Cam it, but if you HAVE to get a cam before anything else, get an E303.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you install Trick Flow's spring upgrade kit (can be done with heads on the engine) you can use an F-303 (.512 lift) cam with no other issues.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
i would sit down and decide what you are planning to do with the car, heads , intake ect. and then do the cam last so it will compliment your mods.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
alright man cam should be the last thing u do unless u like spending money twice.. all that alphabet cams are outdated... u can get a set of heads of an 94 and up explorer perferably 97 1/2 and up with the gt40 p heads they are pretty cheap and also that upper intake will work with your lower intake and its nearly identicle to the cobra intake.if u get those heads you could get a trickflow stage 2 cam which is what i am running on my 347 stroker or u could use a stage 1 with your stock set up but really u are not gonna notice anything without a new set of heads or port the crap out of your stock ones. the biggest drawback on these cars is that they are starved for air once u give it to them they really come alive.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The alphabet cams are basically only good for the sound these days. So if thats what your really looking for, instead of real performance... an E or F cam will give a lopey idle. Make sure you change the valve springs when you change the cam.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i ran my f303 for a little while without upgraded springs, but changed them out later to be safe not sorry...btw mine made decent numbers with an alphabet cam, but yeah it would have made better numbers with a custom cam or even a basic one from crower or comp or crane etc...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
everyone on here will recommend doing other stuff before you Cam it, but if you HAVE to get a cam before anything else, get an E303.
e's suck bro..they make no power, idle like **** and have a very odd power-band range...the x and z have NO idle and dont make any kind of numbers down low...b or f is the ONLY way to go if you're gunna do stock 5oh with alphabet cam...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks alot guys, you have given me a lot to think about. Im going to try to get some pictures of the car up on here and show it piece by piece as i put her together. Looks like im headed to the junk yard this weekend or the bank HA HA. I haven't heard much about the patriot heads but they are fairly affordable. Any word on them?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i know that patriot does work in the modular motors like the 4.6lters and the 5.4lters but not much into the pushrods 5ohs...i think ur best bet is to find some gt40's or gt40p's or port some 351w heads...unless you got some money trick flows twisted wedges are 2.02" intake and are only about $1200...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts