Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 89 5.0 5 spd runs rich as heck at idle. so much so it melted my catalytic converter.
mods:
block is supposedly a 306(what the previous owner said)
trick flow intake
24 lb injectors
80 mm maf calibrated for 24 lbs
75mm tb
595 lift cam(sorry i dont know make or specifics)
1.7 crane cams roller rockers
gt40 heads
373 gears

Now my question is are 24lbers too big? or what could be causing it to run rich enough to melt a cat and it makes your eyes water. Oh and its not tuned or anything. it passed emissions by a lot in all categories so that leads me to believe it isnt running rich while driving

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Scan for codes, maybe the car can tell you. Other wise, check for fuel in the vac line to the fpr. The diaphram might be bad. You also do not need those injectors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou and will do, and ya i kinda figured i didnt need the injectors that was the previous owners doing, im just hoping i can grow into them lol

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have 24# injectors with just an exhaust and intake system and I'm not running rich at all. Just in case I decide to upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You could try replacing the ECT and ACT. My car ran super rich (melted all of my cats) so i replaced those sensors and it runs much leaner now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill take all these into consideration, i bought a code reader per maximus's advice so ill see what it says and keep you guys posted. btw idk if the cats were clogged but i heard what sounded like birdshot bouncing around in my exhaust and looked under and the cat was red hot which leads me to believe its melted

·
Registered
325 Posts
You better hope that code reader works. I bought an actron one and it never worked correctly. Overpriced POS. Now I just use a jumper and a test light with no problems.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It might work on your car. I know it doesnt on mine and I've tried it many times. It goes through all the actuators and relays and then the stupid thing just beeps and stays solid red without giving me any codes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts