Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry for my swenglish in my post..(from sweden))

I have just found (and bourth) a 89 GT cab :) . My first impression is really good but i have found a few minor wrongs..

*The instument lights isnt working
*the clutch is kinda "muchi "(?) . Even with the pedal to the floor it makes a RRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when i try reverse....
*the brakes are really not good...
*the gear is really fueleconomic. I drove 300 kilometers on 27 liters of gas so.... wow :naughty: but i think this 2,7ish will go for a 3,73 or ratherr 4,10..

I still think that this is a really nice car !

So now im starting to make a "must do list " and would really like some input from u guys n girls!

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Welcome the forums !!!

Good looking mustang and I assume they are very rare over there.
Sounds like your clutch cable maybe stretched or needs adjusted.
First thing to do on a cabriolet is subframe connectors for sure
And 3.73 gears go good with a manual transmission

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TBacon!
Are there different subframeconnectors for the cab or can i buy for any 89 fox? I think i need to do something to the clutch really soon and i havent looked at it yet but i googeled some and it could be good to install a aftermareket wire with adjustments?
I guess i will have a ton of questions so... bare with me :)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Cabriolet? Convertible! LOL. Any subframe connector will work, but don't scrimp on this. Get a good full length weld in style. I recommend the Maximum Motorsports ones. I have them on my own car. And the clutch quadrant kits will cure many issues. They include an aluminum quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cabriolet? Convertible! LOL. Any subframe connector will work, but don't scrimp on this. Get a good full length weld in style. I recommend the Maximum Motorsports ones. I have them on my own car. And the clutch quadrant kits will cure many issues. They include an aluminum quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster.
Like i said... bare with me! in sweden we often say cab.... :)
Sounds really good with full length connectors and i will look in to the quadrant kits for the clutch. Thanks a lot for your input!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good looking mustang and I assume they are very rare over there.
Your right, this one was originally delivered to Saudi Arabia in 89 by a swede working there and then brought to sweden in 92 :)
Think they are quite rare here :)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Like i said... bare with me! in sweden we often say cab.... :)
Sounds really good with full length connectors and i will look in to the quadrant kits for the clutch. Thanks a lot for your input!
I was just giving you grief. Alot of times you'll see people call them a Vert here :) If you don't mind me asking, in US dollars, what did you have to give for that over there? If you don't want to say, that's fine, I was just curious. Plus I assume that it's mostly stock. The dash lights, by the way, most likely is caused by a failed dimmer switch. The one to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just giving you grief. Alot of times you'll see people call them a Vert here :) If you don't mind me asking, in US dollars, what did you have to give for that over there? If you don't want to say, that's fine, I was just curious. Plus I assume that it's mostly stock. The dash lights, by the way, most likely is caused by a failed dimmer switch. The one to the left of the steering wheel.
I think a Fox in this stock condition with 140 000 kilometers untouched should go for 8 000 $ - 12 000 $ here in Sweden. I payed less so im pleased :)

Are there dimmer swiches in the aftermarket or shall I try to find a used one? Or maybe get one from another Ford?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
By saying the brakes are not very good... What cars are you comparing them too? Even brand new they were not very good, with them in top shape you may still be disappointed.
Was the car sitting a while? My foxs sit for extended periods and it takes a good 25 or so miles for the surfaces to "clean up" and start working good, since you've been driving it that should have cleared up. Maybe swap the pads/shoes or maybe do a fliud swap and see if that helps. Stock type semi metallic pads/shoes are about $15-20 USD here. Very cheap.

The rrrrr and grinding when going into reverse is normal for a T5 transmission. It does not have a syncro for the reverse gear. With the clutch in, you can put it in a forward gear first and then it will go right into reverse with no clucking. Actually, you don't even have to put it completely into the forward gear first, just some pressure on the shifter in that direction before going into reverse is often enough to stop the shaft from spinning forward. Depending on how bad it is and how much you drive it, that becomes a thoughtless habit.

Older American cars must be expensive there. A friend of mine has sold and shipped cars to Sweden from the US. They were not show quality, restored, or rebuilt cars either, just cruising cars in average or above average condition. One was a 70 Chysler Newport which I'm sure was not cheap to ship.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By saying the brakes are not very good... What cars are you comparing them too? Even brand new they were not very good.
You can do the basics, check the rotor and drum surfaces, pads, soft brake lines in the fenders and possibly a brake fluid flush. Was the car sitting a while? My foxs sit for extended periods and it takes a good 25 or so miles for the surfaces to "clean up" and start working good after sitting for an extended period.

the rrrrr and grinding when going into reverse is normal for a T5 transmission. It does not have a syncro for the reverse gear. With the clutch in, you can put it in a forward gear first and then it will go right into reverse with no clucking. Actually, you don't even have to put it completely into the forward gear first, just some pressure on the shifter in that direction before going into reverse has been enough for me. Depending on how bad it is and how much you drive it, that becomes a thoughtless routine and habit.
You have a good point there! The cars bin sitting before I got it. So I guess some of the lack in breakingpower comes from that but I still would like really good brakes and it seems to excist lots of solutions and aftermarket stuff so it should be possible :) . Good tip on the reverse to. My Fox is going to be a summer daily driver and is already parked i heated garage for the winter :)

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
A friend of mine has sold and shipped cars to Sweden from the US. They were not show quality, restored, or rebuilt cars either, just cruising cars in average or above average condition. One was a 70 Chysler Newport which I'm sure was not cheap to ship.
Shouldve just floated it over using the shipping lanes.

ALLIANderS - For brakes, Powerslot front disc with Hawk pads are worth it, most vendors should sell them. I think you will like them. Much better braking than stock.

Dimmer switches. I dont know what other Fords will have the same as the Mustang. I never looked. But you can get them from the aftermarket. Used can work but if you do not know if they do work for certain, you risk wasting money. I would buy new.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shouldve just floated it over using the shipping lanes.

ALLIANderS - For brakes, Powerslot front disc with Hawk pads are worth it, most vendors should sell them. I think you will like them. Much better braking than stock.

Dimmer switches. I dont know what other Fords will have the same as the Mustang. I never looked. But you can get them from the aftermarket. Used can work but if you do not know if they do work for certain, you risk wasting money. I would buy new.
Tanks for your input fb93! I Will check for a suplier that delivers overseas :) (i Think Most of the larger companies do)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Don't just assume on the switch, even though it's a common issue. If you know how to check it I would do that first. There's also a 5 amp fuse that could be blown, but I assume you have checked that as well. This is the second car that I've had to replace one on. This one I apparently put off for too long. It melted the plastic in the dash in the cavity where it's mounted in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't just assume on the switch, even though it's a common issue. If you know how to check it I would do that first. There's also a 5 amp fuse that could be blown, but I assume you have checked that as well. This is the second car that I've had to replace one on. This one I apparently put off for too long. It melted the plastic in the dash in the cavity where it's mounted in.
Your right FastStang91Lx im just assuming on the switch, havent checked the bulbs or fuses yet. Fingers crossed for a blown fuse :yes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts