Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so like the title says I am having serious issues with my 89 gt, it has a built 5.0 I'm not sure on the horsepower but the engine builder is est. In the high 300's to low 400's. It is N/A so no boost or spray. Ok onto the problem running around town etc its runs around 40 to 60 pounds of oil pressure, but when you get on it my oil pressure drops and if you stay in it the it drops to 0 so just wondering what issue I could be. Any help is appreciated just curious if I'm driving a ticking time bomb and need to start finding another block

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't know much about this but I'll go out on a limb and say It's time for a rebuild. or maybe a new oil pump

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor don't have 2,000 miles since the rebuild so I don't think its that and a new oil pump was installed with the rebuild but didn't go with a high volume cuz didn't think it was necessary with the setup

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have a aftermarket phantom guage I'm gonna hook up tomorrow and see what happens but what if it does it on both

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yes, you need a good gauge to be sure of anything. If you still have no oil pressure, then it could be a lot of things. Bad main bearings, oil galley plug popped out, oil pump screen clogged, oil pump failed, ect..

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
That'd be my vote too, screen full of silicone. By rebuilt, why don't you elaborate on what all was done and who did it. Estimating a 302 to be 400 hp is a little high imho. If you are talking the stock gauge, it is probably just the sending unit is bad. And if you are using the stock gauge to arrive at 60 psi, how do you do that? Just so I know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nxcoupe just by goin off the guage between 0-100 its a little over half, that is how im est around 60. i bought the car like this i have only had it for four days. the guy i bought it from gave me the engine builders name and phone number etc if i had any questions with it and he was who i talked to and found out about the rebuild and new oil pump. the guy who built it has built many motors for the drag racers in dallas and surrounding areas. I have seen quite a few of his builds and havent heard any complaints. From what he says the only thing that managed to stay stock was the block aside from being bored .30 and decked it has a scat crank eagle rods dss pistons hardened pushrods custom ground cam dont remember which heads he put on there but they ran a valve job on them and did the clean up on the runners milled down .10 1.7 roller rockers all arp studs comp cam springs tf upper and lower intake power products tb and egr spacer bbk high flow fuel rails and fuel pressure reg and im sure there is alot more im forgetting. this is exactly why i prefer to building my own stuff, so i dont look like as complete idiot on the internet lol. if i build it i know what goes in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts