Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have a 1989 Mustang GT with a Ford Racing M-6007-X302 crate engine running trick flow upper and lower intake manifolds, 70MM throttle body and EGR spacer, BBK cold air intake, MSD Blaster Coil, Digital 6AL box, MSD super conductor plug wires, iridium hot plugs, MSD cap a dapt and rotor, rebuilt distributor with Pertronix Flame Thrower Ignition Module and an SCT 4 Banks Eliminator chip with 3 BAMA tunes 87 octane, 89 octane, and 91 octane. I had trouble getting through emissions but finally did and later that day my smog pump locked up so I deleted it since I was going to the track that night, found a shorter belt and ran it just fine, then I lost 3rd and 4th gear in trans so I decided to rebuild it and everything went fine, upgraded rear suspension, front suspension, Eibach Drag launch spring etc... installed the SCT Eliminator Chip and went to track. The car was running e/t 12.37 on 1/4 mile track last March, but now was running e/t 14.0. So I made an EGR eliminator plate, CEL code 31 no big deal car will not rev past 4000 rpm, swapped out coil for stock, same result, removed Digital 6AL box, same/ replaced coil, same, replaced Digital 6AL box and the same. Plug wires and plugs have maybe 500 miles on them and no cracks or rub marks on wires all tied up away from heat as much as possible. Removed the SCT chip and still the same no rev in gear driving past 4k. Engine has approx 30K on it, all ignition components have less than 600 miles on them and with or without chip, 6AL box, MSD coil etc... I get the same result. I have been wanting to run AutoLite plugs because I have always had good luck with them. Only ran the iridium hot plugs because they were the hottest plug I could find to help me get through emissions. Also the car has MAC equal length shorty headers. I will include my cardomain page info for other info and pics.

cardomain.com/ride/399103

Right now the 6AL, Blaster coil, Flame thrower are on SCT chip is not it is in the glove box and I removed the battery cables and replaced the battery with an Optima yellow top so codes should be erased and good battery power but still won't rev past 4K and code 31 is only code I have on EEC. Thank you for any help in advance as this has me going crazy! Car also has no cats, BBK off road X pipe, American Thunder super 44 cat back, 24lb injectors and an AFPR with fuel psi gauge mounted to schrader valve on fuel rail and this reads around 39 psi running, timing set to 10 degrees advanced but 0-14 degrees advanced for testing and always the same result no go past 4K seems like it hits a rev limiter, sputters and every once in a while it will kick like it is normal for split second and then back to sputtering. I am thinking this may have something to do with the EGR or smog pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 6AL rev limit is set to 6400 RPM and car sputters past 4K whether or not 6AL is in as stated above, just clearing this up. Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Does the tach jump around when it sputters? Could be the TFI module cutting out at higher rpm. Check the TPS. Move it manually and watch the meter for any dead spots. Run a fuel pressure gauge inside and check the fuel pressure with the engine running. Rev the engine and watch the gauge. You need a load on the engine to see what the pressure is at higher rpms. If it jumps around when it sputters you may have a bad injector of the fuel pump is falling asleep. When was the fuel filter last changed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tach definately bounces around, it would be easier for me to mount my camcorder in a position to view the fuel pressure gauge than to move it inside so I can try that and I just set the tps sensor up a few months ago witrh my multimeter and it doesn't seem to be a dead spot as the car still tries to rev it just sputters. At first I was thinking fuel pump but what are the odds that it would just sputter at and above 4K every time? The fuel filter was done when I did the trans rebuild in May and the car has only been driven maybe 200 miles since then because this is my track fun car. Thanks for info. I will update what I find out with these tests.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow just did a search for TFI module and pulled up a thread on another forum that sounds exactly like my problem, sounds like the Pertronix Flame Thrower TFI is causing more irritation than performance gains, more like performance lost. I will dig around and see if I can find my stock TFI since it still worked fine I just thought I was upgrading to a better product!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok found my old TFI module, if it wasn't so early in the morning or my car wasn't so loud I would be out there right now replacing that Flame Thrower TFI crap with the stock one and taking the car for a test drive but at least I can sleep now knowing I found the old one and can check it right away in the morning!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats funny I am a newbie but I signed up back in August 2008 I guess that averages about a post per year for me thus far! Now that my cars are all running maybe I will have more time to spend on the forums, again thanks for the input fb93 you got my wheels spinning about the TFI enough that I second guessed the new module and found others have had similar problems with this, sometimes you just need a fresh brain to look at the problem and throw out an idea or several!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
If that doesn't work, get a fuel pressure TESTER gauge that you can borrow/rent at an autoparts store ect, and try and get it to a spot that you can watch it while you drive. the camcorder thing could work, but when you watch it back, you may not know what you were doing at the time, other than the fact that maybe you would see it dropping. Which then, you'd know that is your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:yes Confirmation, it was the aftermarket TFI module. It was like driving a whole different car, I had forgotten how quick it was with only getting up to 4K for months. I will always run a Motorcraft TFI module from now on! Thanks for all of the help. Oh and sorry I didn't confirm earlier but I was having fun now that I got my car back!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya you aren't kidding, here I have been thinking that the Flame Thrower TFI was good, and not only good but better than stock for my ignition system and for months, because this is just a track fun car for me and when it is hot I don't race it, but as it turns out this was the cause of all of the problems I have had with it. So I got my car back for Christmas lol and this just may be the best one yet!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I had a dynamod through it in for looks car wouldnt run, switched to motorcraft and it started

1 - 12 of 12 Posts