Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 89 notch 2.3 5speed that i just cant seem to get to run right (sometimes it'll run decent other times it has a miss so bad it wont pull away from a stop light, and ive done plugs,cap,rotor,fuel filter,even a spectre cai because the stock air box was trashed beyond use)
so ive decided a 5.0/302 swap is in order
but i could use some help deciding the most cost effective way to do this
a friend of mine has 2 small block fords
the first one is a 5.0 (carb'd) complete minus plate on front of engine for accessory drive and the engine wiring harness but has everything else carb,alternator all that good stuff and dude only wants $80 for it but he said the rings are trashed so it would need a complete rebuild along with boring and honing the block
or he has a 1991 mercury grand marquis woodie wagon he said he'd sell me the fuel injected running 5.0 for $200 with all accessories and the only thing he said is wrong with it is he thinks it has a weak oil pump

so heres my question due to the work needed for the carbed 5.0 is it a worthwhile option?
if so for a stock rebuild and machine work any idea of cost? (parts i can do the assembly myself) and what else would be nessicary to instally that engine in my 2.3 (a parts list and aproximate cost would be greatly appriciated)
or would it be cheaper overall to use the fuel injected 5.0?
what would it cost parts wise to get that up n running in my fox?
also would the 91 grand marquis ecu and engine wiring harness work with my fox or would i have to find a fox 5.0 engine wiring harness?

sorry for all the questions im new to fox mustangs

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
your going to need a V8 tranny if you want it to last...other then that i don't know about your other questions.

You could always go to a junk yard and get a good working complete engine for a mustang for 400-500 dollars. Ive also seen explorer long blocks with the gt40 set up for around $800 on ebay. All of those alternatives seem like a cheaper route to me

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was wondering. but i was also wondering if a 91 fuel injected 5.0 can bolt a regular aftermarket intake manifold and just a 4brl carb and then i could sell the upper and lower intake,maf and such to recoupe some of the cost then all i'd need would be a t5 out of a 5.0, the 5.0's clutch cable (im told the 2.3's clutch cable is to short and will not dissengage the clutch completely) a set of motor mounts minimal wiring under the hood, ditch the stock in tank pump in favor of a carb friendly low pressure inline pump
does that sound like it would work?
just trying to do this as cheap as possible it's my daily and i plan to do a couple track days with it this summer (i work at a race track) although i know before track days i'd need suspension and brake work but being as the susupension and brakes work and the stock 2.3 is on it's last leg it seems nessicary to start there

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
the after market intake and carb should bolt right up as far as i know. But I'm an EFI guy, so that's what i like. I don't know any thing about carbs, sorry

If you buy an engine with a stock efi intake you wont get much money for it when you resell it. If you bought the gt40 style engine you can recoup an okay amount but even then you wont get that much because there a dime a dozen

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. well is it even worth spending the money to do the v8 swap or should i cut my losses and look for a factory 5.0?

i bought the 2.3 because i figured the chassis would be in better shape than a 5.0 thats been having the piss beat out of it for the last 20 years

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
ive never done the swap my self, so i dont know. If the body and interior are in good shape and you can do most of the work your self, then maybe its worth it. but its not going to be cheap if your going to have to rebuild an engine

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
all im really concerned about is howmuch it'll cost to do the machine work
to bore and hone the block, i found a complete "re-wring" kit on summit for $126 with all the gaskets and seals along with valve stem seals,cam,and crank bearings.
so that takes me to about $210 (including the $80 for the engine) in the engine plus new head bolts $20-25, headers $125 and all else i would really need would be probably to make a simple wiring harness and a bell housing off of a 5.0 and i could continue to use my stock 5speed and open 7.5 rearend (i understand i'd have to take it easy but as long as i take it easy and keep the stock small tires on it the tires should break loose before the drivetrain is to stressed) but if my math is correct minus machine work im looking at under $400 for a freshened up 302 along with headers and motor mounts to put it in the car only thing else i could see it needing would be probably $200 or so in exhaust from the loacal muffler shop am i correct in my thoughts?
seems to be a pretty cost effective way to liven my fox up
im hoping to have a 302/5.0 in it and running for under $600-700 (im on a tight budget)

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
If the engine needs to be bored then you need to budget for new pistons. But maybe you can get away with a quick hone to clean up the cylinders. What ever your budget is, double or triple it cuz that what its going to cost

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Why does that guy think it has a weak oil pump? If it's still in the car and running I would put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it's running at. From my experience, if the pressure is low it generally doesn't mean weak pump, it means the mains are on their way out. I've really only seen oil pumps work or not. I haven't seen one slowly lose pressure, but that's not to say it doesn't happen like that. Either way, if it doesn't have enough pressure warm at idle, it'll need a rebuild too most likely.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why does that guy think it has a weak oil pump? If it's still in the car and running I would put a mechanical gauge on it and see what it's running at. From my experience, if the pressure is low it generally doesn't mean weak pump, it means the mains are on their way out. I've really only seen oil pumps work or not. I haven't seen one slowly lose pressure, but that's not to say it doesn't happen like that. Either way, if it doesn't have enough pressure warm at idle, it'll need a rebuild too most likely.
well in that case should i just forget about the fuel injected 5.0?
i was kinda thinking about the carb'd 5.0 or the injected one anyway being as the starting cost is less than half and then i won't have to find a 5.0 ecu and overall everything would be simpler
if someone out there has done a 2.3 to carb 5.0/302 swap and could give me some advice or if someone knows some tips on a super cheap 302 rebuild

also i read somewhere the best motor mounts to use are the 1993 5.0 convertable?
also would generic summit racing $159 tubular headers fit?
anyone have wiring diagrams/how to's so i can get an idea of what wiring i can get rid of and what i need to keep? also do i need to keep my ecu for the stock gauges and such to work?
any info would be appriciated
also if i use the 4cyc t5 with a 5.0 bell housing i read that i could get a bushing made for under $30 to make up for the smaller input shaft and keep the trans from being a time bomb as long as there is minimal abuse?
also 4cyc trans with 5.0 bell housing and a sbf what clutch and pressure plate would i run one for a 5.0 or one for a 2.3??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts