Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i m new to this forum and new to mustangs...i m jus about to buy a nice clean 90 GT 5.0 5speed with straight pipe no CAT in it...hes letting it go for 2 grands cuz it needs to pass emissions and there no cat so i have to put cats in...it has H-PIPE ritenow...and sounds mean.....i m sure it will pass air care after i put the cats in but my question is do i have to put OEM ones or can i put after markets once? DO I HAVE TO put dual CATs or i can pass emissions with single CAT somehow?(stupid question i know lol)...plus he put alots of new stuff in the engine and theres no cooling problem and no engine leaking ....NOW, is there any common problems i should look after? thanks in advance and i will be around now:)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
if i where you i would just find a used h pipe with all 4 cats on it, bolt it in, and when you get back from emissions, take it back out and put in your cat less one

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya but thats the point, where can i get one of those? JY or dealer? i really wouldnt wanna visit dealer for their insane price....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
on here would be a great place, quite a few people have them stuffed away. Try the classifieds

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Try looking on Craigslist, I see them on there every now and then.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I would try finding a used aftermarket H-pipe with cats. The cats will be newer. My friend let me use his BBK catted h-pipe and my car passed with flying colors. The stock one will work but it's a bitch to put back in because it has 4 cats and two of them are right up by the flange bolts so it makes it real awkward to bolt it in, even with swivel sockets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this gt already has H-PIPE and BBK headers...only no Cats..if that makes any difference? seems like someone just welded ''test pipes'' on the cat's place...so can i jus buy aftermarket highflow Cats and put them there? i heard Cats rob good amount of power on these cars no?...if yes how about highflow cats (magnlaflow etc etc)? to be honest i dont want to make it sound any louder or quieter than wat it sounds ritenow...i know i will HAVE to put cats to pass emissions but i will take them after?...thanks i m new:)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
im having same problem, i failed emissions twice already, but i have some junk h pipe with cats, but the cats are even more junk and they are not burning anything, i was debating if i should buy a hi performance bbk catted h pipe, but i dont really want to spend 380 dollars on it, and about hi-flow cats robbing lots of power, i wanna say its false ive watched dynos and read alot and talked to people about this issue, and no they dont rob ALOT just a few ponies...BUT they need to flow good, if ur cats are clogged up then ull lose the power, my question is what will happen to the sound of the car with cats? id like to have two stangs sitting next to each other with the same mods and xhuast one with cats one with out and see what the difference is...

but yea im just gonna use my buddies stock catted h pipe (4 cats) and pray when i go back to emissions,

wish i could just slip the guy some cash...

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
i was debating if i should buy a hi performance bbk catted h pipe, but i dont really want to spend 380 dollars on it
I have a Magnaflow SS 2.5 catted h pipe (Magnaflow 93338) and it was about $250 shipped brand new. No complaints after 2 years. I have no comment on the sound but on a car with decent power, there will be very little difference, maybe slightly less raspy or watered down slighly but just as loud overall compared to no cats. I make decent power with it and it is not a "restriction" at all. A note on comparing exhausts or individual components, it is hard to do in my opinion. The cam/heads/overall power level etc play just as much a role in the sound and loudness so every car will sound different. I have a stock fox and a built one with the same Flowmaster catback, at idle they sound exactly the same, anything else and they are totally different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i brought the car home today...running pretty gud but coolant temp gauge is not working...could be temp sender unit? plus speedo meter needle shakes up and down till 60km (30miles?) then goes normal...for the emission, i went to Jawanda Motorsports here and they told me they will install the temporary H-PIPE with cats on so i can go pass emissions and then they will install my orginial back on for only $120...gud deal? i think it is...and where can i get factory service manual for 90 mustang? is it available in PDF? thanks :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts