Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Mustang GT and I seem to have a electricity problem or something. I try to turn on my Mustang but when I turn the key the electric fan comes on as it's supposed to and the dash lights up. Well when I turn to start the engine everything shuts off and has absolutely no electricity and somehow resets it's self. I know the electricity comes back because my alarm goes off. I have no idea what allows this to happen. It seems to do it after I've disconnected the battery. Maybe it's the alarm system??? I do not know.....

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I've gone through this countless times... I'll have dash lights and interior lights but when you crank the key nothing then you don't get those lights again yet the battery shows with a volt meter that it's fully charged. The problem was and always ends up being the starter solenoid on the driver side fender failed. $13 part at autozone and 15 minutes to r&r but pay attention to what wires go where before you start pulling **** off

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My battery is fully charged. I've gone through this at least once or twice every time I disconnect the battery.....never if I've left the battery plugged in over a period of time. It doesn't do this every time I reconnect the battery either, just every so often.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Stock harnesses?
Check ALL powers & grounds first.
Probably need a good maintenance inspection/cleaning and some connections tightened.
Main solenoid can do this.
Key switch harness connections in steering column can also do this.
"Dead spot" in a starter motor can also do this.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Do a voltage drop test.

There is a red/green wire running to your starter solenoid..

Put your voltmeter on that plug and ground the other side. See how much voltage there is going to the solenoid when you crank it. I had a bum solenoid and would only get 2.5v when cranking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will it completely cut off the electricity to the car if it's low voltage???

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Will it completely cut off the electricity to the car if it's low voltage???
If your solenoid or battery is really weak, then when you complete the circuit to start the car (engage the starter) then it is pulling more than ~150 amps to start the car (or attempt to start the car). It's working hard to pull juice lowering voltage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found the problem......it was my negative battery terminal. It was somehow bad. I replaced it and it works. The terminal was clean and looked great, but I guess not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts