Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the ignition switch melted in november my stang is running lean what do you guys think could have gotten taken out when the switch blew it also took out the main fusible link I have obviously replaced the switch and link please help

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
After the ignition switch melted in november my stang is running lean what do you guys think could have gotten taken out when the switch blew it also took out the main fusible link I have obviously replaced the switch and link please help
Have you ever replaced the oxygen sensor

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, is there any way of checking it on a scanner to see what real data shows and wouldn't the check engine light be on if it was bad

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I can think of a couple of things that you might look at right off. Yes, to your last question there are ways to check if the O2 sensor is switching, but you need something more than your standard volt meter. If you have a volt meter, you can unplug the O2 sensor with the engine running and warm, measure the output voltage of the sensor. It should read close to .9 volts, but even if it does, it could still be bad and considering that the sensor is cheap and easy to change, it may not be worth your time to try and analyze it.

Low fuel pressure is a common culprit for a lean running condition. Changing the fuel filter is a smart move here and is also cheap and easy to do.

The fuel pump is another common problem. Most of the stock fuel pumps in these cars start to show signs of age around 100K, with a noticeable drop in pressure and volume. A fuel pressure gauge placed on the Schrader valve of the fuel rail, should measure close to 43 PSI.

Fuel injectors do not have an infinite life and given enough miles; they can break down, or in some cases begin to miss-fire. There are numerous sources for replacement injectors and or servicing, but cost and effort here would favor replacement over repair, so I would suggest that you replace them with new 19 lb injectors.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There are numerous sources for replacement injectors and or servicing, but cost and effort here would favor replacement over repair, so I would suggest that you replace them with new 19 lb injectors.
the oem injectors on a 1991 2.3 are 14lb.

I tried using 19lb on my stock motor and it ran rich to the point of hurting performance and fuel economy.

19's might require some eec tuning or internal engine mods to make right.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the oem injectors on a 1991 2.3 are 14lb.

I tried using 19lb on my stock motor and it ran rich to the point of hurting performance and fuel economy.

19's might require some eec tuning or internal engine mods to make right.
I put 19's in my ranger and it ran rich for a bit, but the eec learned new air fuel trims after a day of driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts