Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick ? i have my car tuned to 91 from brenspeed. how much difference will it make going to 93 tune in 1/4 mile performance. and do most of you mix race fuel with pump gas to get 93 octane or just run straight race fuel at the track.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
it will probably be an insignificant difference. And most of us buy 93 at the pump, no need for mixing.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
probably the only difference is a couple of degrees of timing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just wondering someone told me there could be up to 10hp going to the 93 tune. sounded a little much to me so I thought i would ask. I can not get 93 at the pump where i live so would just running race gas 110 octane be fine with my tune.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
race gas isn't going to help you out if you are just a bolt-on car. You will be wasting your money IMO...........once you start spraying it, or blown, yeah it will help..........you don't NEED it unless you are pushing the limits. Some use it just to be on the safe side, but if you are bolt-ons you aren't trying to be "safe" from anything lol.......Honestly, if you don't have a power adder, or endless money in your pockets, don't waste your time OR money.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
just wondering someone told me there could be up to 10hp going to the 93 tune. sounded a little much to me so I thought i would ask. I can not get 93 at the pump where i live so would just running race gas 110 octane be fine with my tune.
As rule of thumb its my understanding that from 91 to 93 is a approximatley a 7hp gain. Same like going from 89 to 91. There is always variables i guess like anything else. I got 7hp going from 91 to 93 but it was all above 5500 and with a much leaner tune. So I guess you could argue it wasnt all from the octane jump. Could be close to a 1/10 in the 1/4

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Not sure about Brenspeed's tunes, but Doug at bamachips told me that another difference between the 91 and 93, was with the 91 tune you could get two types, a performance tune, which added power to the upper half of the power band, and a torque tune which adds power to the lower half.

The race tune adds power across the board.

I would call Brenspeed and just ask them. They will gladly tell you how their tunes are set up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info guys. i'll check with brenspeed see what they say. as for the race gas i cant get 93 where i'm at. so if i use 93 tune i need to either mix 91 pump with race gas or just straight race gas right. this would only be for the track.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
you are going to see minimal gains from a "race gas" tune with your car. I personally wouldn't waste the money, but I'm a tight wad. Or maybe i'm just broke? Either way I wouldn't do it. Hell I HAVN'T done it yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry silver stang not trying to be dumb but if a am understaning you right you would not use the 93 octane tune that i already have. you would just stay with 91 tune that i use for the street at the track?? if i do want to use the 93 tune how do a get enough octane to be safe since i can only get 91octane at the pump.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
It won't hurt you to throw a couple gallons of race gas in the car. I'm just saying you aren't really going to tell a difference in performance. Most guys use the higher octane so they can get a more "radical" tune, without having detonation. So, mostly with FI and nitrous motors. Throw the 93 tune in with a couple gallons of race fuel (make sure it is unleaded). Its not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks silverstang for taking the time to clarify that for me. I think next time i go to the track I will take a little 110 and mix it and just try the 93 tune. I have it might as well try it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.