Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the thing. I just traded my other car for my aunts 5.0 that has been sitting since July 09' due to it "stopping". She says that it just quit running one day, and she told me a mechanic said something about the computer being bad or a chip...So first thing I think, it needs new ECU? Oh, and it's an auto BTW.
When I got it home, it didn't even have power, battery was dead, so I swapped in another good battery and all the lights and everything work. BUT, the car just cranks but won't turnover. Mind you, this a very healthy, virgin Mustang. New off-road h-pipe exhaust, new rad, fresh battery, A/C delete.

So, is there any way to test the ECU?
My other thought is it could be the distributor?

·
Registered
127 Posts
So heres the thing. I just traded my other car for my aunts 5.0 that has been sitting since July 09' due to it "stopping". She says that it just quit running one day, and she told me a mechanic said something about the computer being bad or a chip...So first thing I think, it needs new ECU? Oh, and it's an auto BTW.
When I got it home, it didn't even have power, battery was dead, so I swapped in another good battery and all the lights and everything work. BUT, the car just cranks but won't turnover. Mind you, this a very healthy, virgin Mustang. New off-road h-pipe exhaust, new rad, fresh battery, A/C delete.

So, is there any way to test the ECU?
My other thought is it could be the distributor?
Begin with the simple things, first.
Powers, grounds, etc..
Obvious fuses/fusible links/relays
Ignition switch.
TFI module.
If you wind up needing it, son has a C3W EEC (89-93 for auto).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that I am new to Mustangs, and well, domestics really. I've tinkered for a few years with Imports (240sx), but finally found a nice 5.0.

I checked all the under steering wheel fuses. I checked for spark, apparently not getting spark. Fuel pump primes. I was just wondering if there is ANY way I can take the ECU out and test it. The rotor on the dizzy does move, but I'm not sure how to tell if the dizzy is bad....

Edit: Don't know if it matters, but the firing order is correct. I'm currently looking for the fuel pump fuse.....

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
if it has no fire, check the TFI module. grey block that sits under the dist with the connector on it.

simple and common problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts