808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody knows
jesus there are some smart people up here someone has to know

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
yes, yes, yes... :dunno and yes

if its from the 3.8 cougar it will fit yours, talk with hmusn and see if they came with gears or not, if they did you might have the chance to get them if not pass and keep your 3.27s

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
all rear wheel drive cars come with gears dopey. :lol

the t-loc was optional on the cougar and the T bird.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i should go with the gears or no because hes a good friend of mine and i can get a awesome deal on it like 30-50$ for gears too if i want them

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Yes, you'll have t-lok, but you will lose ANY form of fast acceleration you have. Those gears take forever and a half to make a full rotation, haha. Really not worth it unless you can personally swap out the gears from your rear end into the t-bird.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was just gonna pull the tlok from the tbird and put it into my car

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
no
if it has different gears you'll be looking for a rear SOON
plus the ring gear is going to have a different tooth pattern
i wouldnt do it. unless you take your ring gear off and put it on the one with the posi

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Yes, you'll have t-lok, but you will lose ANY form of fast acceleration you have. Those gears take forever and a half to make a full rotation, haha. Really not worth it unless you can personally swap out the gears from your rear end into the t-bird.

2.73 and 3.27s spin wheels much quicker then 4.10s will

by spin i mean make a full rotation with less rotations done by the driveshaft;)

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Do explain please! haha.
everytime the drive shaft turns 3.27 times. the wheels will turn 1 time.
thats with 3.27 gears
with 4.10s the drive shaft almost has to make 1 most full rotation to make your wheels spin just onces...
so i the drive shaft must spin 4.10 times for the wheels to spin just once

:)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Wait, meaning...

Fewer spins from the driveshaft to create one full spin of the wheel, but the higher the gear ratio, the faster the driveshaft is spinning creating a faster wheel spin?

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
So, why does a higher gear ratio mean accelerating faster.
its like this..
you know those gear set bikes? like 21 speeds etc..
well when its on the BIGGEST gear..notice its rediculously easy to accelerate but top speed is HORRIBLE?

then the smallest gear is quite hard to accelerate but the top speed is much better then the bigger gears?

just like have you ever seen the razor scooters? you know the difference between the green, red and blue or w.e color is?
aside from top speed 15mph on the green, top speed 12 on the orange then the next is like 10

the ONLY difference on those is the wheel size. the green takes much longer to accelerate to 15mph but its fastest, the red/orange is quick to accelerate to 12mph the 10mph being the quickest to accelerate

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So, the smaller the gear, longer it takes to get to top speed, but higher top speed. Larger the gear, slower top speed, but gets there faster?

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no
if it has different gears you'll be looking for a rear SOON
plus the ring gear is going to have a different tooth pattern
i wouldnt do it. unless you take your ring gear off and put it on the one with the posi
so you mean the posi or the gears
i was just gonna take the posi out and put it in my stang

1 - 20 of 26 Posts