Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that I've got my car back on the road, I will be checking the smaller issues. For now I need to figure why the tachometer reads rpms incorrectly. I just it smogged today and noticed that it is not close at all to where they really are. is there a tach wire to the coils like the single coil cars?

·
Registered
660 Posts
the tach gets its signal from the DIS module at terminal #12 (tan w/ yellow stripe). That wire is connected to the EEC, the tach, the DIS module, and the tach service connector behind the drivers side strut tower.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
He cant tell you what is wrong. You need to test the circuit and see if you find a problem.

·
Registered
660 Posts
it's always nice to have a spare set of parts floating around to confirm or deny the fault, so you can swap one part with another to see if problems go away or persist...

i know in times of hair pulling on electrical conditions I like to remove a working part from one of my mustangs and try it out on another.

i just did exactly that with my '92, when I had a no-start condition. I suspected the starter relay because it was old, unlike the starter i just installed, and if i bypassed the ignition switch/ neutral switch wiring by arcing the relay terminals, it would do the same thing.

so i tried the working relay on my '91 and i still had a no start. further, i installed the 92's relay on the '91 and the '91 was starting fine.

the problem - a loose crimp on the butt connector connecting the new starter's solenoid wirirng and the car's harness. I crimped the **** out of the butt connector and all is good.

the moral of the story: skill is good but parts are better (unless you have to pay for the privilege).

and on that note - pick your parts in Chula Vista is having a half price sale today and tomorrow, or I can sell you a working unit I have from a previous cluster swap.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok I'll see if I can try a spare cluster if not you're looking at a future sale..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts