Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for ohc230. u gave me a mods list for a 175-200 hp motor and i have a couple ?s about it. as for the cam im looking at a stage 2 cam kit and wanted to get your thought about it are there things in this kit that i dont need or is it just blowin money? also i have been looking at the forged flat top pistons but there are so many and im not sure whice to go with. if i go with the cam kit is there anything else that ill need to get to do a complet head rebuild? i have the link for the cam kit that im looking at ill put on the bottom. my problem is that with engine i dont know to much about them and everythign has to match up so i would liek to get a kit so i know it all goes together. if anyone has comment on my set up please feel free to speak your thoughts...
2.3L hydraulic roller camshaft kit

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That kit comes with what is pictured, so you will need lifters and valves to do an entire rebuild. plus a cam seal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea after i typed that up i relized i left the valves out. what kind of lifters should i go with that would match up with the kit.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
No matter what you do to the engine, you will need to address the fuel system first, in order to make 175-200 HP. Buying the cam kit first, would be putting the cart before the horse, since your car won’t even idle with that cam, unless you make some changes to the stock computer and to do that you will need some kind of tuning device.

With the tuner device in hand and some self-teaching, you should be able to figure out some basic tuning tasks which will facilitate other performance mods. If you decide that you want more power, then I would look into upgrading the exhaust system and the fuel injectors next. You might want to get a larger injector than you think you will need, since their initial investment can be a little high. 36 lb injectors will supply enough fuel for a 210 HP engine, while 42lb injectors will supply enough for 250 HP.

If you are going to the trouble of tearing down the engine and replacing the pistons, then you might seriously want to consider building a supercharged or turbocharged motor. The cost for the bottom end of the engine is the same as an N/A engine and you could get by with the sock parts on the top end if you wanted to.

To answer your question, the cam kit isn’t necessary.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I went and takes to a guy yesterday that builds 2.3 race motors. He told me I'm looking at close to 2500 to do everything. I think I'm just going to do a basic rebuild with a better cam that will work with computer and I have the speedflow header with high flow cat and magnaflow cherrybomb o put on when I'm done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts