Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
93 GT bodywork just about done - *PRIMER'D* page 2

So, I made a topic a while back in December about doing the paint and yadda yadda. Finally got started on it in February/early March, and it's taken a lot of time, but it's coming out pretty good and wanted to share what I've learned, and been able to do.

Here's a shot of the front (obviously). The hood had tons of scratches and damage to it from 160k of driving, so I had to take it down pretty far, and I ended up with bare metal in some spots. So I sprayed primer on it to get a feel for if I wanted to paint the cowl, and I kind alike it. But the lines aren't even (shhhh).

The roof had a similar amount of damage. This was my first time using a dual action sander so I went down a bit too far in one spot and have a black octagon spot on there of primer hehe.

The GT bumber gets torn up by the road and other stuff, so we ended up buying this bumper repair kit stuff... like $50 for a little bottle, but it worked really well.

The dumbass ex girlfriend managed to back up into the car somehow and caved in the back bumper, it bent in the metal and over time caused part of it to rust. My dad's buddy owns a body shop so we took it there and he taught me how to pull out the body damage. Looks good as new.

Not sure if you can tell in this picture, but these side moldings on both sides got a case of smallpox and were just nasty as ****. So I bought new ones, and there sitting in a box.

Alone with the windshield wipers and mirrors I took off the cowl vent and had to do some gorilla glue repair to it as it was broken in 2 places, and gorilla glue is cheaper than a new one. It seems to hold perfectly. All will be sprayed black again.

I've always had a thing for these lights, and I like them so much I picked up a pair at a junkyard for $25.... I'll be putting them on when I'm done.

I wish I had some pictures of before the bodywork;I have some SOMEWHERE on the computer, but I'll show them when it's done. I've come a long way sop far and learned a lot. Since I'm back to work now I have had less time to do it, but can hopefully spray it soon. My dad just got a new spray gun and I'm eager to try it out.

Oh yeah, I got Bright Calypso Green paint :) :) :) Because it's my favorite color on a Mustang. Like you can see in the picture, I'm going to do the cowl black, I'm thinking like old Mach 1 black. And the rest of the car will be calypso green, minus the lettering on the bumpers and doors which will be in black as well. And yes, I do have the wing, it's just taken off to make sanding the hatch easier.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
my opinion, hood same color as the car dude. Love calypso

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've never seen a GT with the calypso, except an older one like an early 80's, but I'm thinking it'll look sweet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great work, looks good. I just got the LX lenses for my GT as well, new for 120 and only the lenses, I wish I'd gone to the junkyard now, good score on those. What color is the car going to be when finished?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Calypso green.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1972/2081/29928540001_large.jpg Similar, but not a Saleen.

Pretty much once I'm done with the paint, I am gonna get new struts, a set of lowering springs, and SFCs for the suspension.
Then I want a set of mild heads, I'm thinking maybe some ported GT40s with good springs, and a TFS stage 2 cam.
I'm really just looking for some good middle of the road affordable heads. Not looking to spend over 1k on the heads; and I'm not looking for a powerhouse here, but I really do want some.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great color choice, I've always liked that color, its similar to the 93 cobras. I put Eibach Pro lowering springs struts and dampers and SFCs on my 89GT and it makes a big difference in handling and looks. I'm keeping my engine stock since the car has only 56k miles on it. Next is an exhaust then a Vortech V3 supercharger probably in a year or so. Can't wait to see pictures of your car after its painted! Nice work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a '90, did the loweing springs, vortec v3, full exhaust. its makes a world of difference and I love it!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quick hijack, sorry. Rocket, is your motor stock aside from the exhaust and supercharger?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Sounds awesome man, keep it coming! Love the color choice will look amazing!

Im in the same boat just got done putting on the 5th coat of primer myself. Hoping to have it ready this summer. What kind of primer are you spraying or going to spray? I recommend a 2K Urethane primer, it goes on real nice and sands like butter!

Hopefully we will both be able to enjoy our freshly painted 5.0's shortly! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

I've always had a thing for these lights, and I like them so much I picked up a pair at a junkyard for $25.... I'll be putting them on when I'm done.
me to....those are my favorite tail lights 84-86 and 93 cobra

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You jambing it out along with the engine compartment too?
Of course! The interior in this car is freaking perfect. I'm not exaggerating that either. Okay, well maybe I am, but just a little bit! The only damages are the drivers side floor mat (I'm gonna get the 5.0 ones I think), the top leather on the backseats is all cracked from sun exposure, and the drivers seat has a little hole in it. I figure if the inside looks this good, I'm not gonna screw it up by not doing the jambs and engine bay.

Novice: I'm not sure on the primer, it's something my dad got and said "Here, it's mixed, spray away". I think it's some good **** though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was stock before I started, now have Vortec, full exhaust, eibach lowering kit with adjustable shocks, short throw shifter, dual friction clutch, injectors, fuel pump, plug wires, and getting ready to do wheels/tires and subframe connectors.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a good learning experience really. I've had almost 10 people ask me "Why don't you just take it to Maaco or Shieb and for $500 they'll do it all?"
Because... I want it done right. I don't want all my clear sanded off, primered a few times, and new paint slapped on, it'll look like dog crap.

Not sure when I'll get to actually start the painting though. Gotta talk to my buddy who runs the auto program at his school and see when I can use his paint booth. Probably won't be for a few weeks.. but *crossing fingers*

Oh and those tail lights.. perfect shape. I'm gonna paint the GT lights too.. just in case I ever need or them. Or want to make my car look straight out of the hood and mix tail lights :p

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Paint booth's are for suckers. lol
I've followed a few builds on here where guys made 2x4 frames and hung painters plastic from them with surprisingly good results.

And smart move staying away from Maaco. I have not heard good things about them at all. In fact I'd be skeptical of their quality when their paint jobs cost less than decent paint for an entire car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
to make those tailights like a 93 cobra upu need them striped like the svo otherwise its just the lx version but i have em in my gt with smoked directionals and its sharp i miss my cheese graters but these look so clean i cant argue

·
Registered
249 Posts
Was stock before I started, now have Vortec, full exhaust, eibach lowering kit with adjustable shocks, short throw shifter, dual friction clutch, injectors, fuel pump, plug wires, and getting ready to do wheels/tires and subframe connectors.
Rocket, so as not to screw up this thread, mind if I pm you a couple quick questions? Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Paint booth's are for suckers. lol
I've followed a few builds on here where guys made 2x4 frames and hung painters plastic from them with surprisingly good results.
I hope your right b/c thats what im doing right now ( priming) And im really hoping it turns out nicely. Either way it will be a lot better than it was before touched it heh.

Firaga, jw are you going to use any sealer or anything since you arnt stripping the entire car? Jw, im in the same boat, first paint job but exactly like ya said, its a great learning experience and it will be nice to say we did it ourselves :D Keep up the good work! And post more pics!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts