Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have a bad fuel injector but not sure. I have been running motorcraft platinum plugs and have been having some problems with it wanting to crank and what not. There is a hint of gas smell coming from the oil so I called a buddy he said take the platinum plugs out and put the reg ones back in. As I was changing plugs I noticed that one of the plugs looked kinda bad and the ceramic piece was cracked and broke in half. I replaced all the plugs and it's still acting up like it was before. Could the injector be bad or is there another problem? Also I'm leaking radiator fluid somewhere and not sure. I have no sign of fluid on ground and sometimes I have white smoke coming from tail pipe. Any thought?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Sounds like you should have a check engine light also. Do you? If you do you can short the diagnostic plug between the two pins in this picture, turn the ignition "on" but not start the car and watch the check engine light blink. This will get you started in terms of what codes are stored in the computer and give you a starting point on what to look at. Here is a link for that diagnostic plug:
FORD 1983-1995 OBD1 Decoder

If you think you have a bad fuel injector, unplug each one and check the electrical resistance. It should be between 14.8 and 15.1 ohms. If its wide open, infinite ohms or 0 ohms then its a bad injector. A 0 ohms injector would be stuck open all the time and could explain your gas smell in the oil----that cylinder with the open injector is flooded with fuel making the engine difficult to start and thus cranking for a long time until the extra fuel is dispersed.

The cracked ignition plug should have cleared up something of your cranking issue. I'm still using Autolite 764's but will be changing back to the Motorcraft AGSF32C plugs soon. Just for peace of mind that the Motorcraft plugs are the original ones for the engine. Your Platinum plugs; what part number is on the ceramic? Platinum plugs use a platinum tip at the end of a copper core so as long as they weren't manufactured by Bosch (which you said they were Motorcraft) then they should not have been a problem.

The "leaking" radiator fluid. oh boy, if you're losing coolant and its not leaking anywhere onto the ground or your passenger floorboard but you're having white smoke from the tailpipe----one thing pops in my mind immediately. A blown head gasket. That'll give you some issues with starting also. Do you have any coolant in your oil?-----oil will look like milk or coffee with creamer. Loss of engine power? Any overheating or the engine running warmer/hotter than normal? Normal is the coolant temp gauge reading between the 2nd and 3rd tick lines from the bottom.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the coolant issue there is none leaking on ground and yes I can't keep it from Overheating there is a loose of power and take off but after u get up and go it seems to run alittle better. All my issues are at ideal and take off that's it

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
sounds like you'll need to get the head gasket replaced then. since its a four-cylinder engine, it wouldn't be all that difficult for you to do yourself with a Haynes manual and a little bit of experience working on engines.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the fuel injectors go I have been looking at upgrading fuel injectors. ohc told me to get 30-36 pph I have been lookin but all I see is measured in lbs what would I need to look for lbs wise?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
As far as the fuel injectors go I have been looking at upgrading fuel injectors. ohc told me to get 30-36 pph I have been lookin but all I see is measured in lbs what would I need to look for lbs wise?
I think by "pph" he actually meant pounds per hour. "lbs" is the abbreviation for pounds.
30-36 is way too large for a 2.3L four cylinder engine that is naturally aspirated. I just installed 19lbs injectors in my car but the perfect size is supposed to be 17lbs. The 17lb injectors can be found in GM 3.1L v6 engines as a common injector or in the Ford Focus Zetec engine of certain years.
The 19lb injectors are found most commonly in the 3.8L Ford engine in Thunderbirds and Mustangs. Plenty of those in junkyards.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cobraman I was looking at a post on here and saw a head from racer Walsh that come complete minus the cam. What else would I need to get for that head to be complete. I'm going to get forged flat top pistons and I believe the 1406 cam. Is there anything else I need to get to make it a complete rebuild or does that cover it all? Also getting a gasket kit too.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
If by complete, the seller means the head comes with intake and exhaust valves, springs and retainers then that would pretty much be it. You really need to find out what cam the springs are recommended to be used with. Also you'll probably need new head bolts in case the original Ford ones are torque-to-yield, i.e. one time use bolts.
You're going to need a tune also, as in a chip tune.
30-36lb injectors are still too large for your prospective combination lol..........People with turbos on these motors still only use 19 or 24lb injectors. 30-36 would be for an N/A 347 to 351ci engine at the minimum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts