Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys...Gas is almost $4 gallon here and I'm having to go home tonight on 1/8th tank. Not to big of a deal because I went to class and about half way home on 1/8th tank the other day. (roughly 65~ miles) And that was highway there, around town on the way back.

Now at 65mph steady I get exactly 24mpg. Since my odometer doesn't work anymore, I can only guesstimate at lower/higher speeds.

I have been reading where a lot of people get higher than that sitting at 2k-2.5k rpm :eek:

That kind of makes sense because that's closer to the peak torque...however, with my tall 2.73 gears, it seems that the wind resistance would cancel that out. (75-85mph~)

Just thought I should start a discussion. I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to stretch my times between stations!

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
I'm used to cruising at ~75mph on the highway (2700rpm) where I get 20mpg (11.8L/100km). If I drop my speed to ~55mph I can get 25mpg but my right foot would get very twitchy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I"ve asked simular questions here without a lot of responce. I also get around [email protected] mph. just did complete tune(gained 1-2 mpg average) I drive 140 miles a day so small changes show up quick. I am not impressed w/95 gt perf either so I will be trying to upgrade BOTH perf and economy. they go together for a while thenpart ways!! my goal is to get the air in/out effectivly not peak hp. at this point I will install a cobra intake and heads w/a cam designed for the R.P.M. range I use(idle to 4000) w/better ignition/exhaust for this range! shift kit to get the slip out of the A.O.D.E.and multiple tunes for E.C.U. over all it should be quicker and more economical at cruise R.P.M. but time will tell (hope I am right but either way I will post results) I got 16mpg w/duel 4bbl(pair of comp 500 cfm carter carbs) intake while my buddies were getting 10w single 4bbl(holley 750 DPers) plus waxing them (1/4 mile)in the process.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have a few mods done to my 95 including 3.73 gears. When I make a round trip to visit my parents, which is about 280 miles, I still easily make it on one tank. With that many miles I can stretch it to about 320-330 miles to the tank, which I did last time....that included two quick races against my brother and his (new to him) 2008 Lexus IS250. I won...just so everyone knows :). Anyway, when I filled up when my tank was near empty and did the calculations, it still came out to 21.5mpg...I drove about 70mph for 280 highway miles the rest of the tank was consumed with city driving. I've made the same trip before minus the races and kept it around 60mph on the highway and I got well over 24-25mpg...and if I remember correctly, when I drove the car home when I first bought it (4 hour trip from Iowa) I believe I calculated somewhere around 26-27mpg. wish I could get that all the time!!! My Jeep cherokee gets 16...OUCH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts