Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i just have a few questions.

About a year ago i pulled a 8.8 from a 2002 GT to put in my 2000 sixxer, naturally since it came out of a 2002 i assumed it was a 2002 rear end.

Well i got my 7.5 out and the 8.8 in position and go to put the lower LCA bolts in and they dont fit through the holes, so i measured my 7.5 and measured the 8.8 and sure enough its a bit smaller.

I realize that it might be easier to just sell this rear and pick up a newer one but in the time since i bought this one i have not seen another one for sale (its been over a year). I have also completely de rusted this and painted it, and installed the larger cobra brake brackets which all in all took me quite awhile.

Now from my reaearch i have discovered that i need to drill out the 12mm LCA bolt holes to 14mm thats no problem

Now before i realized this i bought some 31 spline 99-04 axles to run with my tru trac, Will those still fit, or will the bearing race be out of place.

If the axles will not work how big of spacer do i need to run to compensate for the difference in size to a 99-04 rear? and will i be fine running no spacers until i have more cash for them?

and lastly I have a moser girdle, do i just fill it full of oil until it spills out the fill hole in the girdle?

thank guys :)

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
drill the holes, easy enough

the axles will have to be for the 94-98 8.8

yes, fill oil till comes out of fill hole

94 axle width differenece is 1 inch overall difference i believe.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and another question, can i use a 9/16" drill bit for the holes?

im having a hard time tracking down mm drill bits.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump, ive called about 15 local places and no one has a 14mm drill bit, everyone stops at 13.

can i use a 9/16" bit?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
take the bolt in and find a drill bit that has the tightest fit. as it goes for the axles i would return them for the shorter 94-98 axles. keeping that rear end is a plus cause the deeper inset will allow you to run wider tires without hitting the fenders. if you cant return them you can have them cut and re-splined with new c clip mounts cut but that is expensive and may cost more than the right axles.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
take the bolt in and find a drill bit that has the tightest fit. as it goes for the axles i would return them for the shorter 94-98 axles. keeping that rear end is a plus cause the deeper inset will allow you to run wider tires without hitting the fenders. if you cant return them you can have them cut and re-splined with new c clip mounts cut but that is expensive and may cost more than the right axles.
Ive already bought wheel spacers to make it look stock
I exhanged the axles for 94-98 ones, im glad the shop let me do that

I have a 9/16" drill bit which is 14.2875mm

or should i buy a 35/64" bit which is 13.8906mm and work it around slightly to make 14.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i would use the 9/16th inch bit. even the stock holes have some play in it, make sure the bolts are tight and your good to rock. eyeing out bolt hols is not a very good solution cause it makes the holes odd shapped and could throw off the center.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would use the 9/16th inch bit. even the stock holes have some play in it, make sure the bolts are tight and your good to rock. eyeing out bolt hols is not a very good solution cause it makes the holes odd shapped and could throw off the center.
Alright thanks

and will my 18x10 wheels rub anything if i run them for a week or so until my spacers come in?

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no your 18x10's will fit better without spacers cause they will sit more in under the car and stay away from your fender where it cuts the tire.
Well i had not issues with rubbing with the stock rear end so i think i will be fine with the spacers, and without them for a week or so.

thanks for the help

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
It looks like you're going to have a pretty sweet setup. Do you have any plans for power in the future? That's a lot of meat under your car for a 6.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like you're going to have a pretty sweet setup. Do you have any plans for power in the future? That's a lot of meat under your car for a 6.
turbo is going on in a month or so

will make 300+ to the wheels

anyways I got the holes drilled, and the LCA bolts in

Now im putting the driveshaft back on and i can get the bolts about half way in and then they become so tight i cant move them.

Also is there only one way that the driveshaft can go on? there are 8 holes and you can put in on 2 ways.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got some work done on the breaks

anyone know what to do about the drive shaft bolts, are the normally super tight and hard to get in.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Try cleaning the bolts and the bolt holes. Also there is a certain way the ds goes on cause of balancing. Sometimes you can still see the factory white/yellow line on the pinion flange. That will line up to the yellow dot on the ds

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try cleaning the bolts and the bolt holes. Also there is a certain way the ds goes on cause of balancing. Sometimes you can still see the factory white/yellow line on the pinion flange. That will line up to the yellow dot on the ds
ok i will look for those in the morning

what happens if the markings have work off?

on the flange that is connected the the rear end there are 8 bolt holes and there are only 4 bolts that hold the drive shaft on, so basically the way i see it is that it can go on 2 ways.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Look close cause you should see a shadow of how the old shaft went. Install the new shaft if you get a vibration rotate the ds
ok, i defiantly have it on wrong, i can see where it went now

thanks for the info,

And im switching out to cobra rear brakes do i have to do any grinding to the stock caliper to make the pads fit?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
cobra rear calipers are the same size but thicker, if you have gt calipers it wont fit cause the calipers wont compress enough. gt calipers are solid, cobra calipers have a vented center. if you have cobra brakes with gt rotors it will work just have to change the pads early. i dont suggest you mix and match

1 - 20 of 57 Posts