Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
cobra rear calipers are the same size but thicker, if you have gt calipers it wont fit cause the calipers wont compress enough. gt calipers are solid, cobra calipers have a vented center. if you have cobra brakes with gt rotors it will work just have to change the pads early. i dont suggest you mix and match
i thought that this little bar was the only difference?

do you have a pic or a link to what you mean?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
You don't have to cut any thing. I have cobra calipers on gt brackets. They are direct swap just one is thicker than the other. I have a vid ill post when I changed wheel studs you can see it there

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You don't have to cut any thing. I have cobra calipers on gt brackets. They are direct swap just one is thicker than the other. I have a vid ill post when I changed wheel studs you can see it there
I have the part on the left in this pic from a 98 cobra

I just did some damage to one side getting out a seized stud so im trying to figure out if they are absolutely necessary.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also I ment to say gt rotors are solid where cobra rotors are vented in the center
oh ok

I thought you were saying that the cobra calipers were vented while GT were not

I have cobra vented rotors
Cobra Anti Moan Braces
Cobra Brake brackets (the one that bolts to the rear end and you have to take the axles out to put on)

and i have the cobra caliper half with the slide pins in it but i did some damage to the seal with a torch by mistake,,

for clarification this is my rotor

with cobra specific Hawk HPS pads

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
As long as that is a cobra caliper your good. Other wise the thicker rotor will prevent re caliper to fit, I think when I removed the gt rotors the one thing I noticed was how thin they were compaired to the cobras. On my sra swapped cobra I have the stock cobra calipers with stock cobra rotors with gt brackets

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
As long as that is a cobra caliper your good. Other wise the thicker rotor will prevent re caliper to fit, I think when I removed the gt rotors the one thing I noticed was how thin they were compaired to the cobras. On my sra swapped cobra I have the stock cobra calipers with stock cobra rotors with gt brackets
when you say GT brackets do you mean these?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
no i mean the brackets that bolt up to that bracket that hold the caliper in place along with the brake pad. the one i see you still have. hold on i am uploading the video for you

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
no i mean the brackets that bolt up to that bracket that hold the caliper in place. hold on i am uploading the video for you
these?

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yes those on my car I have the ones on the right with cobra calipers and cobra rotors
ok if we forget those for a minute

are there any differences to the cobra calipers and the GT calipers other than the bracket i just posted above.

I have both the Cobra and the GT version of that bracket but i damaged the seal a bit on my cobra version

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Are you talking about the little rubber seal on he guide pin? If so just pull the one off your old brake and use it
Im talking about the little lip the rubber seal mounts on , it was brass or some kind of soft metal and it melted when i used a torch to remove a seized slide pin i will post a pic in the morning.

im still not sure what is wider about cobra calipers

but you said i can use the GT calipers but just to expect premature pad wear?

Maybe i will just run my worn down GT pads until i can afford some cobra caliipers.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Before installing everything be sure to pull the guide pins out. Replace the bad rubber dust sheild from the one you melted, clean the pin really good and re-greese it

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Before installing everything be sure to pull the guide pins out. Replace the bad rubber dust sheild from the one you melted, clean the pin really good and re-greese it
i mis typed in my post

i melted the little metal guide that the rubber seal sits on

i will post a pic in the morning. I think i ruined the bracket

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
No if you use cobra calipers with gt rotors they have a wider opening cause of the thicker rotor so the brake pads can't wear down as far before maxing out the caliper

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
No if you use cobra calipers with gt rotors they have a wider opening cause of the thicker rotor so the brake pads can't wear down as far before maxing out the caliper
ok i was confused

so i should not run into any problems right?

when you keep saying cobra calipers are wider do you mean to say rotors?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts