Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question, i'm not new to mustangs but i am new to 5.0. What can i do to my 94 GT to gets some more power and a lil better fuel mileage?

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant like getting it tuned or something. Would a CAI help any? Turn the ignition timing up? I am not trying to make a super fast car out of it. Just give it a little more juice.

·
Registered
594 Posts
CAI may help a little bit.
I would just take out the rubber silencer on the air filter part. Gives significantly better airflow.

The timing won't really do much either. The timing changes depending on RPM and driving conditions anyway.

Some cheap ways to improve gas mileage are weight reduction, change the fuel filter, use fuel injector cleaner regularly, and switch to a synthetic/semi-synthetic oil. Cleaning the MAF helps as well if it hasn't been done in a while.

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CAI may help a little bit.
I would just take out the rubber silencer on the air filter part. Gives significantly better airflow.

The timing won't really do much either. The timing changes depending on RPM and driving conditions anyway.

Some cheap ways to improve gas mileage are weight reduction, change the fuel filter, use fuel injector cleaner regularly, and switch to a synthetic/semi-synthetic oil. Cleaning the MAF helps as well if it hasn't been done in a while.
Alright, well i'll check the MAF meter one day this week and see if it dirty.
Would having the EGR block off and the smog pump disconnected affect my fuel economy?

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
Would having the EGR block off and the smog pump disconnected affect my fuel economy?
No, but getting rid of both with associated pipes/valves would clean up the engine bay quite a bit.
Easy things you can do to gain some power:

Remove air silencer & MAF mesh screen
Port MAF sensor housing
Advance ignition timing
ASP underdrive crank pulley
Short belt AC/smog pump bypass

Some weight reduction and a 3.73 axle gear swap will also help in the performance department and not have a negative effect on gas mileage.

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, i'll check into that. I ran to one of the former owners of this car and he told he put 3.55 gear in the car, but didn't calibrate the speedo. How hard will it be to fix that?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Alright, well i'll check the MAF meter one day this week and see if it dirty.
your fuel economy will go down if you delete your EGR, and you will gain no extra power, the only benefit you will see, is a cleaner engine bay

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alright, i'll check into that. I ran to one of the former owners of this car and he told he put 3.55 gear in the car, but didn't calibrate the speedo. How hard will it be to fix that?
Late modell restoration sells speedo gears for a few bucks and it only takes a few minutes to put in.

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your fuel economy will go down if you delete your EGR, and you will gain no extra power, the only benefit you will see, is a cleaner engine bay
Is there a way to fix that, like having it tuned to operate with out the EGR and keep from lowering fuel economy?

Late modell restoration sells speedo gears for a few bucks and it only takes a few minutes to put in.
So i just have to change the speedo gear going in to the tranny correct?

Also which gear exactly do i need for having 3.55 gears

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there a way to fix that, like having it tuned to operate with out the EGR and keep from lowering fuel economy?
No, you're not allowing the unburned gasoline back into the system, and therefore you're just wasting fuel.

So i just have to change the speedo gear going in to the tranny correct?

Also which gear exactly do i need for having 3.55 gears
23 Tooth

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I think the EGR only functions at idle and low rpm.......At full throttle it doesnt do any thing, i do believe, but i could be wrong......there's some thread in this section where fogged306 explained how it worked, but i cant remember the details

·
Wished my car was done.
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, you're not allowing the unburned gasoline back into the system, and therefore you're just wasting fuel.
Damn it.

Unburned gasoline, wouldn't the car have to be running real rich for that to happen?

And thanks, i'll be getting that on my way.

I think the EGR only functions at idle and low rpm.......At full throttle it doesnt do any thing, i do believe, but i could be wrong......there's some thread in this section where fogged306 explained how it worked, but i cant remember the details
I have read some like that about how all that EGR mess works in the past but thats done long gone from my brain. I'll try and search for it again.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I think it went some thing like this.....
the EGR fill up cylinder space with burned exhaust gases which normally would have been filled with air/fuel and thats where the gas saving come from.....but when you get on the throttle the EGR stops putting exhaust gasses in, and only puts in air/fuel

Its some thing along those lines

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think it went some thing like this.....
the EGR fill up cylinder space with burned exhaust gases which normally would have been filled with air/fuel and thats where the gas saving come from.....but when you get on the throttle the EGR stops putting exhaust gasses in, and only puts in air/fuel

Its some thing along those lines
Basically.

Sounds like a reverse turbo :D.
You will gain a little power from removing it. But not a lot. Less parasitic loss is always a plus.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Basically.

Sounds like a reverse turbo :D.
You will gain a little power from removing it. But not a lot. Less parasitic loss is always a plus.
parasitic loss? doesnt parasitic loss refer to things like water pump, or fans where the drag of using them loses power? I'm unsure if an EGR would fall into that category, but i could be wrong
if the egr only works at idle and low rpm, then i dont think there's any power to be had....at that range you dont need power, removing the EGR would only cause lower gas mileage....The car using more gas at idle would be pointless

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
You will gain a little power from removing it.
The only thing you gain by removing the EGR is some underhood space to make removal of the no.4 spark plug easier. Removing the smog pump plus pipes/valves has far greater benefit.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Oh. I was always under the impression that the smog pump creates a good deal of drag on the motor. I guess I will be leaving mine in then. :sorry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts