Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 94 mustang cobra that cranks but wont start. I have had it running briefly on starter fluid. I also see the fuel rail has pressure. But I noticed that what I believe to be the crank shaft position sensor is unplugged. I have searched high and low for the pigtail and either it's not there, or I'm not seeing it. I did find a rather suspicious destroyed pigtail on the driver side near the master cylinder, but it is too short to be the suspect (would love to know what it goes to regardless!). I have hooked an OBD scanner under the dash, but I believe that 94 5.0's were not equipped with OBD capability as it brings back a non communicative signal. I have heard some 5.0 had a plug in under the hood, but I have not been able to locate it. I also see two plugs on the passenger side, but I believe these went to the smog pump which is deleted (and doesnt fit anyway). I am not a great mechanic, but I really hope to get this thing running soon. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. If I need to provide more information or pics please let me know! Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a stab in the dark but I’d say the crank sensor isn’t allowing the injectors to fire since it can’t determine timing. You’ll need to fish around for that harness. And you’re correct it’s not obd2, it’s obd1. The connector should be next to the drivers side shock tower. That harness in the third picture I believe is for the low brake fluid sensor, which may be missing.
Wow thank you for that insightful response! I'll have to dig for that harness better. I must have missed it somewhere. Thank you! I'll report back when I'm able to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, still trying to figure this out. I definitely am missing the harness for the crank sensor. And I have no clue what to even purchase to fix it. It's weird because at one time it was running (albeit poorly) on starter fluid. I would think it wouldn't even start without this plugged in? I tried to pull codes on it the other day and got nothing even though the check engine light is now illuminated. And now it's also displaying a low oil light even though the dip stick shows oil. Is it possible that the broken plug is related to the low oil light (it's not the brake fluid sensor as that is plugged in)? Also is it possible because they fitted the e303 cam that it doesnt need the other sensor plugged in now? Also... maybe it wont pull codes because the chip isn't programmed for the cam or something? So confused! If anyone has any other insight I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts