Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, this car has a 4.6L V8 and AODE trans.. I stomped it on the way home from work and when it downshifted to 1st and the RPMs hit about 4500 i heard a sound like someone dropping 5 pennies in a coffee can.. Now it does have a bad MAF (Code reader said MAF Circuit malfuntion) and a vacuum leak (reader said EGR overflow) so could this have something to do with it?

I've only has the car since monday but I've stomped it before and no probs.. The odometer is stuck at 126982 so it's probably got 200k or more.. Any ideas? It almost sounded like a belt slapping something...

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
dahm.. running premium in a beat up old cougar :lol

now i only heard this once, should i worry about it?
suck it up.......ur running a 3900lb v8 with most likely 200k on her. By a 4 cyl if ur worried about gas.

u might wanna try doing a tune up for shits and giggles too, clean the wires n coils, new plugs, air filter

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
suck it up.......ur running a 3900lb v8 with most likely 200k on her. By a 4 cyl if ur worried about gas.

u might wanna try doing a tune up for shits and giggles too, clean the wires n coils, new plugs, air filter
nah rags i'm not worried about gas money i'm just sayin it'd look kinda funny pumping premium into a rather unsexy car :D I actually traded my little 4 cyl dodge shadow for this car.. 4cyl FTL!!!!

It's already had a tune up too but it does have a bad maf and a vac leak somewhere (i suppose.. got egr overflow on the reader)

·
Registered
101 Posts
With a bad MAF, it is entirely possible the fuel air mixture is not actually what the computer thinks it is. My initial thought is that too much air for the given amount of fuel is entering the combustion chamber thereby creating a lean condition that would be more susceptible to detonation than with the proper a/f ratio. If the problem persists and upgrading to premium gasoline doesn't solve it, replace the MAF.

The other alternative is to do some data logging throughout the RPM range on a dyno with a wide band O2 sensor hooked up. That's probably the most expensive troubleshooting idea but the most accurate. Good luck and I hope you have no further problems.

Reactions: DanTheMan

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With a bad MAF, it is entirely possible the fuel air mixture is not actually what the computer thinks it is. My initial thought is that too much air for the given amount of fuel is entering the combustion chamber thereby creating a lean condition that would be more susceptible to detonation than with the proper a/f ratio. If the problem persists and upgrading to premium gasoline doesn't solve it, replace the MAF.

The other alternative is to do some data logging throughout the RPM range on a dyno with a wide band O2 sensor hooked up. That's probably the most expensive troubleshooting idea but the most accurate. Good luck and I hope you have no further problems.
that's also what i thought

wow.. that's all i can say lol. thanks for the help.. I'm probably replacing the MAF once I replace the steering colomn. I don't think puttin a 300 dollar car with at least 127000 on a dyno would be a smart idea :D

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
that's also what i thought

wow.. that's all i can say lol. thanks for the help.. I'm probably replacing the MAF once I replace the steering colomn. I don't think puttin a 300 dollar car with at least 127000 on a dyno would be a smart idea :D
u can data log with an xcal 2 n laptop, or x cal 3.

if u have a tuner for ur GT just unmarry it temporarily

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wish I could find a $300 beater just to drive around. The sandstorms out here hurt my heart every time I have to drive in them. One day I'm sure I'll find such a good deal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
very good idea 96GT. didn't even fathom unmarrying tuners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
you got it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts