Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put this in the wrong place at first...if a moderator can delete the old post in the 5.0 that would be great.

ive been looking for a new instrument cluster for my GT because the trip and odometer are busted. the current one is a 120mph. i have found plenty of 150mph clusters on ebay. i read that the 120s were only for the V6 and 150s were for the V8. i read that a 120 cluster to a 150 cant be done. is it possible that it had a 150 and got swapped to a 120? i thought maybe i had a V6 stang converted but the VIN shows it to be a true GT.

thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
816 Posts
its either one of two things, you have a V6 body with a v8 engine, (which is what i have) or somebody swapped in a V6 cluster into yours because the V8 one crapped out, regardless the 120 MPH cluster is from a V6. I have been in the market for a V8 cluster for a while now with low mileage but they are hard to find and everyone thinks they are worth gold

EDIT:

I read your first post and it says your VIN shows a true gt so my guess is that someone swapped it in because the original V8 one stopped functioning

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its either one of two things, you have a V6 body with a v8 engine, (which is what i have) or somebody swapped in a V6 cluster into yours because the V8 one crapped out, regardless the 120 MPH cluster is from a V6. I have been in the market for a V8 cluster for a while now with low mileage but they are hard to find and everyone thinks they are worth gold

EDIT:

I read your first post and it says your VIN shows a true gt so my guess is that someone swapped it in because the original V8 one stopped functioning
will ill need to get the 150 mph to get the speedcal to work correctly?
kinda sucks if i do cuz your right 120mph are like 60 or so and 150mph are almost 200!

·
Registered
816 Posts
all you would need to do is swap out your 120 mph cluster to a 150 mph one and your speed and eveything should be correct from the factory unless you have new gears in the rear end and then you would have to get the speedo re-calibrated

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah it has 4.10 in the rear. so speedcal is my next step.

i just found a 150 speedo on ebay for $100 includes shipping. a lot better than $200-300 like most people think they are worth. it has just over 91k on the odo but not a big deal to me.
thanks much for your input.

·
Registered
89 Posts
just get a 150cluster with the gear busted in it then buy that kit to fix it and while you in there miles are to the right hint hint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts