Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 mustang gt 5.0 and it ran fine owner told me it might need a tune up. So I went out n got a tune up on it new distributor cap new wires new spark plugs new fuel filter new transmission fluid new oil n oil filter. When I got it back it idled a little funny and and was grinding and hard to get into every gear. I left it running with ac on and came out about 5-10 mins later and turned it off. Turn it on about 5 mins later n it putter to a stall and would not turn back on. I left it and came back and it started right up. Next day it ran fine till I turned on ac then came to a stop n it stalled. Left it again about 2 hours and drove it home. Seems if ac is off it won't stall asked some friends they said to replace idle control air value idles good until ac is turned on? Maybe someone can point me to the right post or give me some suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
run codes. you dont need a scanner, ill post up a pic for you. even if there is no CEL, the computer will store the code even if the light hasnt tripped or anything. How many miles? O2 sensors can cause problems with stalling out, bad idle. I had problems on my 95 cobra (replaced o2 sensors and was fine) Search pick up coil in the dizzy (distributor) when those fail, hot starts can become problems and random shutting off can be caused byt the PIP (pick up coil). a new dizzy will cure that problem real quick..but not autozone remmaned dizzy's.

to run codes get a jumper wire, 2 inches long, strip ends and use the bottom picture on the left. Use the two slots as show, turn key and count ENGINE light flashes. Report back. That test is the koeo. Next do the KOER (key on engine running) this test puts all the sensors and stuff through tests and wil report which are bad or have problems. Report back. here is the pic and welcome to MM forums.

so there is the pic. BTW low refrigerant in the ac compressor will cause the engine to surge at idle. A bad compressor clutch can cause the engine to stall out as well. Check th a/c. have some one turn it on while you watch the compressor. Get a gauge from autozone to read the a/c system. it would hurt to not use the a/c if it shuts off when you use it. just disconnect (unplug) the hi pressure switch on the accumulator (black cylinder object on pass firewall)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drove to a park today no problems then went to leave about 30 mind later and it won't start (idles funny then stall kinda like its outta gas)so maybe not just when ac is on? I already bought a code reader n codes are at home 411 is the only one I can remember off top of my head I think there where 2 others that was with engine off didn't run one with engine on yet. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
89 Posts
throw another ground from the battery to the fram/or block

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had similar problem w/ 95 GT and replaced battery. Seems that when the a/c clutch pulled in, the voltage dropped close to 8 volts and the engine would die.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well took it to Mv performance n the belt was put on wrong from previous owner n the fuel pump was bad. New Bbk fuel pump n belt fixed n wow didn't know that the car ran this good! Now getting a 312 code ne suggestions no clue as to what that is? Check engine light only comes on sometimes n sometimes turns off. Previous owner did take off cadilac converter I don't know if that has ne thing to do with it or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts