Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering has any one ever raced a wrx sti in thier 96-98 cobra.i know the hp is about the same.I was playing with one the other day,but there was to much traffic to see what it could do.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Depends on the year. Stock for stock, I think an STI is going to win. It weighs less and can launch so much better. I have seen the newer ones go into low 13's stock. On the early ones, drivers race, but I still think the STI is going to win.

I had an 04 WRX for a day and it was a fun little car. A cobra would walk it on it, but the STI has a lot more power.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The cobra should win most people cant launch a awd car right, plus it takes alot more power to turn all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A newer one is good for mid 13's even with a bad driver. A stock cobra is good for low 14's, to high 13's stock. I think motorweek got a 13.7 with a 98 Cobra. Now the older STI is slower, it's good for high 14's, low 13's as well. All depends on the driver skill.

·
good with the steel.
244 Posts
Sti until 60mph from a dig. From a roll you.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I think it depends on what year sti. And most of all its going to be a drivers race.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I ran the newer one about a year ago from a 60 roll and it was dead even. I started to pull at the top of 4th but then came 5th and I let out. They are pretty fast for what they are. The guy I raced also had full bolt ons and exhaust. He happend to be me neighbor so we ripped on each others cars ever since.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My roommate had one of those special edition sti's from a launch i couldnt beat him. neither of us are GREAT drivers thats for sure. i was pretty much completely stock at the time as well. maybe full exhaust but no gears.

he could beat me on the launch but he wasnt pulling away from me much while shifting through the gears. i never tried vs a roll but i dont see it ending MUCH different.

id say with gears full bolt ons you could probably make it a tight race, but without boost or spray dont expect a blow out

·
Punching Throats
1,246 Posts
I have few mods as you can see in my garage and my car pulled a 13.5 with room for improvement. If what your saying about the STi going mid 13's is true then with a better launch I should catch him after the 1/8th mile and be even if not slightly ahead.

·
Registered
61 Posts
STI from a stop. Hard to say on a roll on. Theyre soo close in power. Awd doest really rob power from the motor unless the the tires are breaking loose. Thats what a viscous coupling does. WHile they call it AWD it really isn't so roll on,well how bout you let us know. Ive only raced modded sti's and my cobra has quite a phew So your guess is better than mine.

·
Registered
586 Posts
STI from a stop. Hard to say on a roll on. Theyre soo close in power. Awd doest really rob power from the motor unless the the tires are breaking loose. Thats what a viscous coupling does. WHile they call it AWD it really isn't so roll on,well how bout you let us know. Ive only raced modded sti's and my cobra has quite a phew So your guess is better than mine.
what are you talking about, awd takes more power from the engine to spin all 4 wheels.... Its a fact.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I think the STI will take it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Or read my reply thouroughly. It does take power to turn all 4 wheels. However, the viscous coupling disengages once the front and rear tires( or axle if applicable) are turning the same speed. As far as lost power when its engaged(launch), the AWD, more than makes up for the lost power, on a roll when its disengaged ( see my first comment), it wouldn't have much, if any impact on power.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have never run one from a dig. I know better than that unless I have some M/T's or something. Nobody can argue they are nasty from a light with someone who can get it moving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts