Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY trans is done for. Everyone is saying that the trannys in the 96's are bourg-warner, but my trans has tremec stamped on the side? What trans will directly replace mine? I need to know asap!!! I need my cobra back!

The bolts the seperate the bell housing are on the inside.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Cobras came with the T-45. In 96 Borg Warner was bought out by Tremec, so your car probably was a late 96. T-45 will bolt right back in or you could do a T-56 swap which obviously will cost a bit more. The gear ratios in the T-56s are a little closer allowing the engine to stay near its peak in the rev range between shifts! All you would need is a T-56 bellhousing for a mod motor, modify you crossmember and have the driveshaft shortened and maybe some other piddly little things, but pretty easy. Check out D&D Performance for some good info, but DO NOT buy from them...they have bad service from what the fellas on here say. :cool:

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay, here's my Question.

Looking to Put a 98 cobra engine(transmission is available) into my 97 GT, Everything is included(even turbo) but My GT is an AUTOMATIC and the Cobra is obviously a 5speed. Both have the T-45, will this fit?

·
Registered
638 Posts
^ Hmm, I am putting a slightly used 96 cobra tranny into my 99 Gt, both t45. The tail seems different. My sensor doesn't fit, but the cobra's sensor has a 373 speedo through the tailshaft. Mine has an electric pickup. I hope someone can chime in and help us. I am doing it right now and I ran into this problem. Both 5-speeds btw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts