Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i found and bought a 96 gt , automatic, leather, etc. has only 107k miles, heres the kicker, it had been sitting for 5 years. When i went to look at it, it started just fine. drove ok... under heavy pedal it studdered a little , but cleared up. Drove it to my house, and for some stupid reason, i let it idle for an hour. I guess i was thinking it would run out the old gas. anyways, i turned it off. went out the next day and it wouldnt crank. i thought it sounded like the starter was dragging, pick one up at a local junk yard, and swapped them out. ( top bolt was a pain in the butt for sure ) tried starting again, wouldnt start. thought maybe bad gas fouled plugs. replaced all plugs and wires. still the same, wont start , and sounds like starter dragging. called a mobile mechanic. he comes out does compression test, says i have basically no compression across the board, i explained the deal with the car and he says i think you burnt the exhaust valves with bad gas, hence no compression and wont start. here is my questions, 1. is it possible that bad gas caused burnt vavles and no compression? if so ... should i
A) remove heads and have them rebuilt. if so whats this usually cost
B) sell car as is and move on
C) there is a totled out 2001 gt with 88k i could pick up for 500 and swap it into the 96.

·
Registered
137 Posts
regarding your question, i've never heard of "bad" gas fouling exhaust valves. Is it a possibility....yes. but i've never seen it. On the other hand, if i knew a car had been sitting for 5 years it would have been drained of gas, new fuel filter, and plugs before i even attempted to keep it running. My opinion is that something locked up from condensation getting in from sitting so long or it was never stored properly. it may have rusted the valves shut from sitting. Was it outside?

·
Registered
137 Posts
if it were me, check head gasket (coolant in oil and vise versa), check coolant pressure, potential valves, or even rod's or faulty cam (strange tho). I'd even squirt a little oil in each plug and try again, who knows....the rings may be bad from sitting. Knock out the easy stuff first. It's very strange for the engine to show no compression across the board. HTH

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what i thought. But the thing ran. And idled perfectly for an hour. Shut it off. Try to restart next morning. Then nothing. It was stored outside. And not properly. Cylinders 1.2.3.4 show around 3 to 5 psi. 5.6.7.8 showed anywhere from 5 to 30.psi. im truly stumped here. I have no clue how a car can run fine one night. Then show no compression basically the next day. Maybe pull heads and take a look. I dunno.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thats what i thought. But the thing ran. And idled perfectly for an hour. Shut it off. Try to restart next morning. Then nothing. It was stored outside. And not properly. Cylinders 1.2.3.4 show around 3 to 5 psi. 5.6.7.8 showed anywhere from 5 to 30.psi. im truly stumped here. I have no clue how a car can run fine one night. Then show no compression basically the next day. Maybe pull heads and take a look. I dunno.

are you sure your compression gauge is OK???

Those schraders get tarnished from sitting, and can cause them to stick giving false readings.

Happens to mine all the time, I keep spares for that reason alone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Gauge was functioning properly. And did it with 2 sets of gauges also. This is so weird.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Strange, i agree. If its a head problem, those are usually fairly inexpensive to just buy a good used set of pi heads, likely cheaper than having yours rebuilt. Plenty of good people on this board, and corral, and others, willing to sell good sets of heads, intakes, cams, etc. Question, does car turn over and just not fire? What exactly does it do?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Strange, i agree. If its a head problem, those are usually fairly inexpensive to just buy a good used set of pi heads, likely cheaper than having yours rebuilt. Plenty of good people on this board, and corral, and others, willing to sell good sets of heads, intakes, cams, etc. Question, does car turn over and just not fire? What exactly does it do?
I would recommend the pi swap but i effed up and its turning into a nightmare lmao. do looooots of reearch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bad gas = stuck valves

this is most likely, that the gas, injected on the intake valves/stems gummed them up and is keeping them from closing properly. Modern gas, without a stabilizer, goes bad and is the worst thing you can run through an engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car turns over just fine. Spins good. I am getting spark. I am getting fuel. No compression. I pulled vavle off fuel rail. Gas was dark tan. Almost brown. And smelled like turpentine. Lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
do you want it fixed?

take the intake manifold off, and spray the strongest aerosol gunk killer you can find on the intake valve stems. not a bunch, you don't want to hydraulic the motor when the intakes finally shut.

putting in another engine won't help, you also need to clean or replace the tank and pump, flush all the lines and rail, probably replace the injectors. So if you can get the intakes in this engine freed up, you'll be just as far along as if you'd done a swap. Probably. YMMV.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. Ill give that a shot tomorrow. Are you sure intake valves. The mechanic said exhaust valves???

·
Registered
13 Posts
they could be stuck too, but only a cylinder leakage test would show that. If they don't unstick in a reasonable amount of time, no harm done, you'll just need to remove the heads (you'll already have the intake off) and take them to a machine shop to be cleaned and have the valves checked and reseated, good time for valve seals also.

Everything I said about cleaning the entire fuel system could be done while you're waiting to get the heads back.

My experience stuck valves from modern gas gone bad is with lots of older pushrod engines, but the principle is the same. I can't tell you how many of my friends have run into the same problem. If only you'd asked "is it safe to try and start my car with really old gas in it" I'd have told you some horror stories and saved you some time and money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really wish i would have done that. Really. I knew better. But the guy i bought it from was running it. So i figured maybe it was newer gas. Live and learn thats for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts