Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 96 GT with and automatic and speed-o stop working. Where should I start looking for this problem?

Gear in trans?
Cable?
Gauge?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Check the fuse, then check the gear in the trans. I wouldnt expect it to break but they are plastic. After doing the easier ones pull the cluster. I HIGHLY doubt the cable is the fault.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If speedo stopped working, like in 100% of other sn95s, first thing to do is replace the speedo gears in the gauge cluster....every month someone asks this
question....lol

·
96 Posts
Figured I would try to avoid making another topic similar to this, if my odometer/trip aren't working on what I believe is an aftermarket gauge cluster, would it be the gears as well? How difficult would it be to fix it?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Figured I would try to avoid making another topic similar to this, if my odometer/trip aren't working on what I believe is an aftermarket gauge cluster, would it be the gears as well? How difficult would it be to fix it?
It will be the gears in the cluster. They are easy to swap takes maybe 40 min.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you have the cluster out to swap in new speedo gears, is there a direct replacement for the illumination bulbs so my panel is easier for my old eyes to see?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I'm sure you can get replacement bulbs at the parts store. You could also switch to a pure white led bulb and your cluster will illuminate blue instead of green.

·
Jedi
279 Posts
Just need the gears to fix that

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Yeah, to clarify, if odometer and tripometer arent working, its the little plastic gears in gauge cluster. If its speedo and tach that are acting up, its likely the speedo gear plugged into tranny. I believe i misspoke in the previous post, i was thinking about the odometer. Both gears are a simple swap out, and pretty cheap. And yes, auto store should have bulbs for gauge clister, ive replaced all of mine at one time or another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts