Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
96 3.8
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wantin to do the egr delete. Just need a little help. First can I run a little while before tunning it. Also will it run ok beside a EEL light coming on. Also do I need to remove all egr crap the dpfe and just plug the vacuum ports on intake. Has anyone done this any info would help.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
By Tuning it, im assuming you mean using a tuner to modify the cars computer, which is the same thing as its Service engine light coming on, its okay to run not tuned because thats basically what your doing after tuning it anyway,

Things that need to come off are:
EGR valve
DPFE sensor
EGR solenoid
EGR Pipe.

Things that need plugged.
EGR valve Plug.
EGR pipe plug on manifold

Tune Car.

I have heard plumbing fittings work well on the manifold but cannot confirm it myself.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You can buy the kit for $25 from Mysteed. Pretty basic. Start with the manifold, remove the EGR itself, and anything it connects to. Then put the blockoff plate on the manifold (I removed the bracket and bolted the delete directly to the intake manifold for a cleaner look), and then block off the bung on the passenger manifold.

You also need to remove the vacuum solenoid for it, and plug all lines that come off the manifold. If you have a tap, it is best to tap the holes and put a bolt on them rather than using a rubber cap. Mine become very brittle and break after a few months. Not sure if it's the southwest climate or what. Also, tuck the electrical harness in the back by the firewall. Just keep it away from the exhaust and it wont melt.

The car will have no negative side effects as long as the connections are tight and there are no vacuum/exhaust leaks. You will have the CEL from the sensor not being there. If you get a Diablosport or SCT and run the program from pre 2009, you can turn the EGR off without a tune. I think they are update 5.1 on the diablo, not sure on the SCT.

Once you get a tuner, they can shut it off within the performance tune.

Some people say they lost mpg with it gone, I feel I stayed the same. Maybe lost 1 mpg, but the car breathes a lot better.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
I looked on mysteed but could not find the egr delete on their. and whats this about running the tune from pre-09 on the diablo tuner? I was only aware of their ever being the diablo tune itself.

·
96 3.8
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info just want to make sure it wont have a lot of running issuse til i get the hand help programmer. whats the best to get an price range..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I looked on mysteed but could not find the egr delete on their. and whats this about running the tune from pre-09 on the diablo tuner? I was only aware of their ever being the diablo tune itself.
They updated the tune software in 2009 to comply with EPA regulations. This took away the ability to delete the EGR and to turn off the rear O2 sensors. I still have the old software, as I did a backup before updating.

The diablotune is the post-2009 tune. Before then the diablosport came from the factory with an 87, 89, and 93 performance tune.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
35.00 still seems expensive for an EGR delete. I was going to get some sheet metal, snips, a dremel with a grinder, a new gasket to take care of EGR valve area, then find a plumbing fit to fit the manifold.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
gonna take more than sheet metal to block 20 hg of vacuum.

I would get atleast 1/4" thick stock.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The VMP one is 3/4" thick.

Keep in mind most people want show quality, not something that looks like you threw it together at the last minute.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Mine will be more than decent. I used to work with/around this kind of thing all the time, i can get the metal for free so its no biggie.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
good luck, just saying sheet metal won't seal right. you might as well just RTV it on because the bolts won't hold something like that. It needs to be rigid so that it stays on its own.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
I have the Gear to make such a thing, the price for these EGR deletes are completely outrageious for the only things that are involved, for those that know how to do it

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
then make some and sell them. Like I said I used to get them from CRT for $15 bucks, $20 shipped.

My dealer cost at VMP is very competitive, but for me to make money I have to put it back up closer to them.

If 15 people buy them I'll sell for $28 shipped each...

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
^not a bad idea at all....i will put some thought into this.

·
96 3.8
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a guy in my CNC shop here make me on in a few min. it looks good and is thick so will hold well. i may even send to my platers and have them plate it.

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
Nate.

Remove EGR components. Buy a cap to screw on to your Manifold port. Use some JB weld here to seal this ( I think thats what people use )

Next you can take the EGR to Lower Intkae mount:

This peice, the specific section Ill be talking about is on the left of this picture w/ a hole in it

Here you see the oppisite side on on the bottom, w/o the hole.

You want to cut that section off. Weld up/seal the hole, I believe someone used JB weld on mine.

With that you can then reuse the bolts that mount it into the lower intake. Replace the gasket in between and bolt up.

Now tuck the wiring/plugs however you so please, or cut if you wish.

Good chance you'll get a CEL light, but I drove mine around for a few months like that (forgot to tell my dyno tune guy I delted it :D)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts