Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off let me say i am not looking to take this to the track, I just want a car that has power but still able to use it as a DD in the summer. I just had to put a new motor in it and everything is stock other than a plenum and i have a program in it from Bama. I have a Performance intake sitting in the garage and want to put some better heads on it, I don't want top of the lines heads just some that will give me some more juice, Can anyone point me in the right direction for heads??

After further thinking i would really like to pick up a 302 motor someplace and drive the 4.6 till it pukes and build the 302 up and drop it in. What transmission would i need to hook up if i did go the 302 route? I am not a mechanic by any means but have buddy's that are and i myself am very interested in learning..Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to pull the motor to put new heads on it as the motor in it now has less than 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
your hole posts almost negates itself.......

you would need to swap the trannsmission

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Why build the motor if your ultimate goal is to swap it for a 302? It seems like a waste of money to put anything into something that you don't really want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why build the motor if your ultimate goal is to swap it for a 302? It seems like a waste of money to put anything into something that you don't really want.

That's essentially what i am asking, Should i go ahead and build the motor up a little or would i be better off trying to find a 302 and drop in it for power?It seems everyone i talk to laughs when i tell them that the motor is a Modular motor. I have even had mechanics refuse to work on it saying that working on the modular motor is a PIA and waste of time? How hard is a head swap on one of these?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Why find a 302 and put that in when you just put in a new 4.6? If you really wanted a 302 why didnt u just put that in instead of a 4.6 was anything wrong with the old motor??? But our motors dont seem that hard to work on unless your ripping out the bottom end of the internals. PI swaps are fairly easy especially with all the guides on how to do them and all the helpfull folks on these forums. Just go with whatever u really want to do and whatever your goals are. If you want to make your car a better DD then do a brake upgrade and replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, and gas tank grommet that is prone to cracking. Or replace the whole driveline for your brand new motor. New clutch kit, flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, short shifter, make sure you get a ford racing throwout bearing and dont bother using the throwout bearings that come with the clutch kits they are only good for 5k miles, and even some 3.73 differential gears if you want. Hell if your loaded throw a t-56 tranny in there and then every single thing about your powertrain is brand new and better than stock. With your new motor a new driveline and upgraded brakes would make your whole car better than a brand new 96 GT and one hell of a nice and reliable DD. All depends on which direction you wanna go.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
First off lets start with headers. Your are fine with factory manifolds unless you want a different sound or build up your engine. Headers allow your other upgrades such as a CAI or new TB work to work to their full potential. Also get long tube headers, shorties are not worth it. I hear good things about bbk but mind you, i still have stock manifolds because my car is not built up...... yet:)

Also dont bother doing a 302 swap if you just put a 4.6 in it now. Just do a full pi swap and alot of bolt ons like a CAI or TB or mass air.

If you were still to do a 302, then id use a t5 for a tranny because they are pretty cheap and found everywere.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Put a 302 in it and ur asking for a world of problems down the line. U will have to change that whole set up on the car including the computer and fuel system.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Shoulda just built your new motor and boosted it and be done with it.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
That's essentially what i am asking, Should i go ahead and build the motor up a little or would i be better off trying to find a 302 and drop in it for power?
No, you should sell your 96 and get a 94/95 gt. That way it will already have a pushrod 302 in it and you can save yourself a world of time, money and hassle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts