Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a mustang GT with bad tags and issues... later I found out the PATs system was messed up and it was swapped from an automatic trans to a manual. When I purchased it it was running horrible and was spitting flames from the exhaust. So I fixed the PATs system, for the key ring reader was broken. Swapped the PCM to a 1996 Mustang GT Automatic PCM. It is really difficult to start up and you need to use brake cleaner and once it start it has automatic transmission codes, but the PATs system proves out fine. So today I went to the junkyard and got a 1998 Mustang GT Manual PCM and now the PATs starts flashing like crazy as if it's broken again. I did some research, and was reading that the 1998 PCM has the PATs in the PCM itself or something like that. Can I try to reprogram the single key that I have for the GT and see if the PATs system works and will start the car? Currently the car just cranks and will sputter with brake cleaner with PATs flashing a lot.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
It will sputter because PATS cuts fuel. The aerosol you're giving it becomes the fuel.

It should work if PATS is reprogrammed, but that's going to include the PCM, cluster, and key. I'm not sure if anywhere outside of a dealership can do that. Alternatively a tune could disable PATS altogether.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will sputter because PATS cuts fuel. The aerosol you're giving it becomes the fuel.

It should work if PATS is reprogrammed, but that's going to include the PCM, cluster, and key. I'm not sure if anywhere outside of a dealership can do that. Alternatively a tune could disable PATS altogether.
Damn, was really hoping it would work just with a PCM swap. I guess I'll just return the PCM, and save up for a tuner. The problem is I have 3 mustangs and if I start tuning I'd probably want to tune them all which would be expensive for 2 extra licenses or w/e. If I get one I'd probably go with Delta Force Tuning. However for now I guess the car goes back to sitting.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
find a 96-98 car with a corresponding transmission that someone is parting out. buy the keys, pcm and cluster from them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
find a 96-98 car with a corresponding transmission that someone is parting out. buy the keys, pcm and cluster from them.
I couldn't find any on Craigslist. I'll keep an eye out for one though.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I couldn't find any on Craigslist. I'll keep an eye out for one though.
is the manual still in the car or is it back to auto?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is the manual still in the car or is it back to auto?
The manual transmission is in the car still with the 98 GT manual PCM. Before with the 96 Auto PCM with the manual transmission it would start after a while but have the auto trans sensor codes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huge thanks for the info. A friend was telling me about this, but it was like $200. This one is pretty cheap, so I'll give it a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts