Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through the forums and can't seem to decide which to go with. I currently own an unmolested 96GT 5-speed...
Options-

Keep 96 and do PI swap

Sell 96, buy a 5.0 and have a couple grand to immediately put into it

Sell 96, buy a 1st gen Rx-7 and put a 5.0 in it and probably still have almost a grand to put into the engine

Question kinda boils down to- If I sold the 4.6 would the roughly $6k get a 5.0 faster or do I already have something I should work with?

BTW I've owned rice/rotaries up until now and I kinda like the v8s

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
go 5.0 stang......those first couple years of the 4.6 werent too impressive......and the foxes are lite enough and make good enough drag cars to not have to use a rx7 swap....i dont think that would be worth the time and effort for that swap...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its really all up to you my friend. If its your daily I say keep the 96 and do the pi swap. Many people have gotten over 300 with that swap, with a cam. And I personally wouldnt go down the rx7 path, only because there will be alot of headaches involved. If it was your weekend car I would say go for it, but not as a daily. And I dont think you would get 6k for a 96, unless theres really low mileage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention that, Yeah this is my weekend car.
I know also that it isn't worth that much, but with the tax return...

Sounds like the fox is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Do It

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like a lot of members here seem to all agree that the non-pi 4.6 aren't that quick. Aren't they equal to, or a little faster than the foxes stock?

I've also owned two fc rx-7s and there's an rx-7 shop down the street that specializes in chevy/ford swaps. They've got a shop car with a stock 5.0 and it's pretty quick. I may be a little biased but would the weight savings/headaches be worth it?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well im pretty sure the foxes actually would take a 96 4.6 because of the fox having more torgue....i know i have beat a couple and my car is still pretty much stock

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... thanks. Looks like I may be getting a fox this summer.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i know the rx7 may be even lighter than a fox but the fox is a pretty light car......especially with some weight reduction

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
finding someone here to say go with the R-X7 is like finding a chicken who supports Colonel Sanders...

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
Seems like a lot of members here seem to all agree that the non-pi 4.6 aren't that quick. Aren't they equal to, or a little faster than the foxes stock?
depends on the year fox.......

anything 87-93 and the npi4.6 will get 5.PWND....

86 and under stock fox and stock npi 4.6 is a drivers race with anything under 84 just getting burned

·
Registered
4 Posts
hahah i saw this post and started laughing.As of now my older brother has a 86 rx7 turbo. i have a mostly stock GT. dont get me wrong the rx7 is lighter and pretty quick its self but even with the turbo it wasnt keeping up with me. the higher rpms is all the rx7 has. off the line its **** and the mustangs lokk better anyway. go with the fox body and tear those rice burners up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys. I suppose the fact that I'm asking this kind of says that I've got it in my head that I don't really want to keep the 96GT, but the fact that most responses are to, put bluntly, get a fox instead kind of surprises me.

Also, with the rx-7 unless you've owned one, you might not understand why I'm really debating that. It's just a very small, tight community. MM kind of reminds me of those rotary guys I've talked to, but I've never run into any super-cocky rx-7 drivers. Unfortunately I can't say the same about some mustang owners.

I've wanted a fox for a long time now, and now that I've got some input from respectable mustang owners, I think I may end up with one.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
MM kind of reminds me of those rotary guys I've talked to, but I've never run into any super-cocky rx-7 drivers. Unfortunately I can't say the same about some mustang owners.
:lmao

yeah, we're all d!cks, just ask those Supra owners!

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
the reason why ur getting so many responses that said to get a Fox was because u put this in the 5.0 section of the forum.... :lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, I figured 2 of the 3 options involved the 5.0 and I have a 4.6, I know what that's like. I don't have any experience with the 5.0, so I figured if in the 5.0 section someone told me the 4.6 was better(I know sometimes it's a matter of opinion) I would stay with it.

even though, I came across like the noob I am :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
pushrods FTW

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
hahah i saw this post and started laughing.As of now my older brother has a 86 rx7 turbo. i have a mostly stock GT. dont get me wrong the rx7 is lighter and pretty quick its self but even with the turbo it wasnt keeping up with me. the higher rpms is all the rx7 has. off the line its **** and the mustangs lokk better anyway. go with the fox body and tear those rice burners up.
Thats an 86.. race a stock 93 twin turbo rx-7 in your mostly stock mustang and you will be singing a different song.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts