Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Danger To Manifold!!!!
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I know a guy that is thinking about selling his 97 Cobra longblock sans intake and injectors. I assume that this would vary only slightly from a mkVIII swap, which would be doable, but my question is with the ignition system. IIRC 97s had coil packs instead of individual COPs? What would switching the 97 engine to my 01 COPs entail? If its too much work I'll pass until I find a decent MkVIII/98 Cobra/ 01 Cobra engine...

Thanks!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Its very very simple.. all you do is use ur stock gt wireing harness.. and extend the coil wires and reverse the polarity on them. Buy coils for a 99 cobra and get 4v cop valve covers

·
Danger To Manifold!!!!
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh ok! I was worried I would need a different harness for some reason... So just different valve covers and some Cobra COPs would be all I need?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Ahh ok! I was worried I would need a different harness for some reason... So just different valve covers and some Cobra COPs would be all I need?
Yup. C head covers, 4v COPs, wire, solder, and electrical tape.

Modding the harness isn't that bad.

You'll also need an intake (obvious) throttle cable, and does the engine come with a flywheel/flexplate and/or clutch?

·
Danger To Manifold!!!!
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup. C head covers, 4v COPs, wire, solder, and electrical tape.

Modding the harness isn't that bad.

You'll also need an intake (obvious) throttle cable, and does the engine come with a flywheel/flexplate and/or clutch?
I doubt it, but won't my T-45 stuff bolt up?

Also what do you guys think that engine is worth given that its missing intake, TB, and fuel rails?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I doubt it, but won't my T-45 stuff bolt up?

Also what do you guys think that engine is worth given that its missing intake, TB, and fuel rails?
Depends on the condition. Anywhere between $500-1200. $500 would be kind of rough and high milage, $1200 would be freakin' immaculate, low milage, synthetic oil all its life.

I think your 01 engine should be a Romeo, so that would be 6 bolt crank, the Cobra will be 8 bolt (if it doesn't already have a flywheel). The T45 itself will bolt up no problem, but I thought 01 was when they switched to the T3650?

Of course if the engine already has a flywheel and clutch on it you're good to go.

·
Danger To Manifold!!!!
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on the condition. Anywhere between $500-1200. $500 would be kind of rough and high milage, $1200 would be freakin' immaculate, low milage, synthetic oil all its life.

I think your 01 engine should be a Romeo, so that would be 6 bolt crank, the Cobra will be 8 bolt (if it doesn't already have a flywheel). The T45 itself will bolt up no problem, but I thought 01 was when they switched to the T3650?

Of course if the engine already has a flywheel and clutch on it you're good to go.
I can't remember what I put on when I changed the flywheel... The trans is a T-45 though, its an early 01. He's asking 1000 but I haven't seen the engine at all yet so idk about the condition yet...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.