Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 97 cobra after selling my 95. I like the car it has a few good mods, some good suspension. Anyway, I noticed the engine is low on power, knocking over 2K rpm. It has good oil pressure, isnt overheating. Just low on power as in, not pouring smoke off the tires when taking off from a stop, excessive pedal push just to get going. The knock as I say, doesnt show up until after 2k rpm. WTF is going on? The car is tuned for 93 (sct), has BBK cai, BBK o/r h, short throw, msd wires, msd coils, IMRC deletes. Help me out and let me know what this could be. Once again oil psi and temp are fine.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I'd cut open the oil filter and see what you find. It sounds like you may have a spun rod bearing on your hands.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Is the knocking coming from the front of the passenger head

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like it on the front of the engine. I cant realy tell because I cant get it to show up again lol. Maybe a chain tensioner?

Im taking it to a performance shop today that dynoed it and did the tune before I got the car. Ill find out maybe whats up

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've heard that the plastic parts used in the timing chain assembly give away do that's probobly your problem

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it over to DTP (Dyno Tuned Performance) today and talked to the owner and Shawn. Both came out and looked. Shawn says that the Harmonic Balancer has moved back rubbing into the timing cover. At the lower rpms, the belt is pulling the balancer back into the cover. Also he stated that there was a Mach1 that just came in with the same noise and it was the balancer. I'll try that and see what happens. I used my SCT today just for kicks and found out there is a code. P1443, something about evap too low or w/e. Il do more research on that. The engine was dropping idle rpm down when I would come up to a stop or slwoing down. Could be caused by the platic line running in front of the intake into the intake tube having a crack in it and not sealing properly. ( I broke it yesterday lol) Got a new battery but the chrage is dropping off as it is sitting. The volts were like 13.6 or 13.7 was it was running. Battery charge now before I came to the house was 12.8. I'l check it later tonight and see what it has gone down to if any. Took te car out on the highway to gt to DTP and it rides, hadndles, feels so smooth compared to the 95 cobra i just sold. I like it. Hopefully I can figure something out. If not I heard MMR or DSS is selling there 4.6 blocks for 2300 on sale from like 4600. Deployment buys lol. I'll keep this updated and let people know whats up.

BTW 700th post!!!

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well havent had much luck finding a 4.6 dohc for under a grand yet. If I cant find one, MMR block is going in heads are gonna be re done. maybe some cams, who knows. long tubes fa sho and whatever else. I'll keep looking. Rod knock...pffftttt.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
i wouldnt do that because im fairly certain the block you have now is better than the stuff mmr is selling (even if i believed that they had good products). im pretty sure their blocks are iron and yours is aluminum (and one of the best aluminum blocks at that). if youre going to take the engine out anyway just rebuild the dang thing

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i wanna forge and boost it. I still dont know if for sure this a rod knock. I did see the oil gauge move today when it almost stalled out due to a vacuum line that is f-ed up. Maybe ill just drive til it breaks and call insurance to fix it,...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
then forge and boost YOUR motor, not an iron block

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
If its got a rod knock your going to either need a rebuild or motor swap. If I was in your situation as soon as I know that its a rod knock Id just do a swap. My 00 gt developed a rod knock. cost me 2000 bucks for a used motor and new exhaust. Good luck

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have found a few 4.6 dohc out of like mark 8 and stuff but i am going on a deploymenbt and may just save for a termi swap. who knows. I can do the work myself but i just have to wait so long before i can do it. I'll try to find another cobra engine, buy it, drop it in and build this one that way i want. Hopefully ill be able to find one for relatively cheap. ugh

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, went out drove the car. sounds like the balancer is rubbing into the timing cover. Went out to drive it today and the car doesnt peel out from a dead take off. If i dunp the clutch first gear spins but as soon as i hit second, pfffffft. it farts out on me and feels like ass. Its a smooth ride, trans is very smooth. CLutch pedal feels...feels weird. It releases up very high, like 2-3 inches from the very top. Like the dumping the clutch, second gear kind of smokes the clutch. Instant stink of the worst smell--clutch disc. WHat the heck is all of this? The engine in the car now is a remanned as stated earlier in this thread. Only has like 13000 or something on it. Feels sluggish or weak but was dynoed at 293 and have dybno sheet. wtf is up

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Actually it doesnt really sound like a rod knock ( Im sure u know that already lol). Like I said before I had a rod knock on my last motor but I didnt lose any power. LRS has some blocks if you want to buy a new block from them and maybe use secondhand parts (not the best idea) but its cheaper than buying a whole crate engine. Just throwing out some ideas.
As far as the clutch maybe you need a new one. Ive only owned one 5 speed and havent replaced the clutch yet. How long has it been since the clutch has been replaced?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow...This sounds familiar...I bought 98 cobra about a year ago. Drove it for about a week, what holding good pressure and temps all around. Notice a drop in powerer(when i got smoked by a 350z), spun a bearing the next day. Any way, mine was boosted so a bit different of a situation.

I was stuck between stroking, and rebuilding, or buying a shortblock.

A stroker kit was gonna be about 2200, rebuliding forged was gonna be about 1900, and the shortblock already assembled and balanced cost me 2500(thanks to a fellow forum member who hooked it up with a deal.)

Its a tough decision, just keep in mind the future of the car.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ttt. possible cluthc issue due to clutch being burned up? It makes the noise on start up. like a slight knock, like an engine knock. it stays with the engine. i know it needs a clutch. but man, engines are getting had to find. mark 8 engine for now? what would i need for the swap?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
ttt. possible cluthc issue due to clutch being burned up? It makes the noise on start up. like a slight knock, like an engine knock. it stays with the engine. i know it needs a clutch. but man, engines are getting had to find. mark 8 engine for now? what would i need for the swap?
the 93-98 mark 8 motors are the same as what you have in your car so its a direct swap. Maybe somebody else could help you with the clutch cuz idk much about it

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
the 93-98 mark 8 motors are the same as what you have in your car so its a direct swap. Maybe somebody else could help you with the clutch cuz idk much about it

mark 8 does not have a forged crank. and the intake on the pre-97's is not very good iirc

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
mark 8 does not have a forged crank. and the intake on the pre-97's is not very good iirc
yep. I was debating on whether or not to list all the differences but I was waiting for the op to respond.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know the mach 1 AUTO'S do not have a forged crank haha. hard to find manual engine. I dont want to spend alot. With that in mind, i have seen mark 8 engines for 400-1000 mostly complete. I dont need ay of the accessories, or intake, valve covers, manifolds, ya know. What do you guys think of using it? would it be the same power, with my cobra intake, etc? What about the IMRC deletes. They arent on the cobra right now

1 - 20 of 27 Posts