Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 97 Cobra that I got a couple months ago. I changed the clutch out sat and figured I would put new u-joints in since I had the driveshaft out,so a local shop did it. When I picked it up the guy told me that he thought their should be 2 weights on it( 1 in the front and one on the back). He told me when installing the back joint that the caps were on wrong.....so I should have it balanced! Does anyone know if their are 2 weights before I drop $120 on a balance?? Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
i dropped my tranny when i did my clutch and took out my drive shaft, i didn't notice weights on my drive shaft, then again, i have a 97 GT. someone with more knowledge then I will chime in, but i don't think there are weights on the drive shaft...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They balance driveshafts, kinda like balancing wheels. I have a weight on the front of the shaft and I would think 96-98 GT/Cobra driveshafts would be the same. :)

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I think before I dropped $120 on a balance I would just add the little extra and get the FRPP aluminum driveshaft. I have one and I love it. The u joints are strong as hell.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think before I dropped $120 on a balance I would just add the little extra and get the FRPP aluminum driveshaft. I have one and I love it. The u joints are strong as hell.
Don't have $300 for a driveshaft right now. I paid cash for my car 3 months ago and still need to get my gears in " Priorities"! :) I found someone that charges $86 to balance. Still curious if a stock driveshaft has a weight at the top and one at the bottom of the shaft?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a pic of the weight at the top. Is their suppose to be one at the bottom?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I honestly don't recall, I haven't had a stock driveshaft in about 3 years.

·
Registered
218 Posts
yeah the FRPP is the way to go. I ordered mine from americanmuscle a few years ago for like 150$ ?? Not only is it about 6-8 pounds lighter (better rotational mass) but like it was mentioned before, the yoke and u-joints are going to last the life of your car

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
218 Posts
hmm..i guess maybe i didnt get it from there?... or maybe i did pay that much... either way you should consider adding it to your list anyways. it may not add to any sort of visual qualities but ride quality and acceleration will increase... always a plus... but good luck on the mods!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ford Racing 96-04 GT, 96-98 Cobra, and 03-04 Mach1 Aluminum Driveshaft at AmericanMuscle - Free Shipping!

I understand that an aluminum driveshaft is better, their are other things I would rather drop the $300 on right now....wheels,exhaust,springs,CAI and the list goes on!! :)
With your situation i think the alum. driveshaft would be just as helpfull performance wise as your 300$ list mark. My approach is to upgrade whats in need of a fixin instead of upgrading something that works just fine, and although my car could be alot faster than what it is for the money iv put into it i dont regret a single mod iv done. And for it being my daily driver the only out of service times is when im doing work on it instead of waiting for money because something is broken or not working properly. But also for your case u already bought new U Joints i dunno how much that ran you but good luck and fill us in on the balancing and weight issue whenever u get her solved! Im curious cuz im about to tackle a clutch job and i wanna check out my driveshaft while i got the tranny off.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I never had weights on my stock driveshaft. I also had a shop replace my old ujoints. 10 min later I twisted the driveshaft out of the trans on the highway...... The jerk offs never used a press when they put the joints in. Needless to say I bought a FRPP just to be done with it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I never had weights on my stock driveshaft. I also had a shop replace my old ujoints. 10 min later I twisted the driveshaft out of the trans on the highway...... The jerk offs never used a press when they put the joints in. Needless to say I bought a FRPP just to be done with it.
Man that sucks dude! Thats one of the reason why i will always try the work myself before i give my baby up to a shop cuz those people no matter how nice your car or how nice you are they really dont give 2 sh!ts about your car or you. Did they reimburse you or install the FRPP driveshaft for free atleast?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just put the driveshaft back in with the new u joints. I'm getting my gears installed tomorrow.......so I guess i'll find out tomorrow if it's going to hold up! :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good luck bro hopefully yours doesn't get twisted out on the highway like what happened to '97'Cobra ! Also did you go with 3.73's or 4.10's ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a tough choice, but went with 3.73. I'm going to be doing a lot of highway driving and eventually want a blower. :)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Man that sucks dude! Thats one of the reason why i will always try the work myself before i give my baby up to a shop cuz those people no matter how nice your car or how nice you are they really dont give 2 sh!ts about your car or you. Did they reimburse you or install the FRPP driveshaft for free atleast?
They paid for the towing and i just bought and installed it myself. I was so mad i wanted to just be done with them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the driveshaft ended up not being the problem with the vibration issue I was having. I dropped the car off to get the gears installed and found the drivers side axle is bent :( ! On the good side, I have new Moser axles coming. :)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Well, the driveshaft ended up not being the problem with the vibration issue I was having. I dropped the car off to get the gears installed and found the drivers side axle is bent :( ! On the good side, I have new Moser axles coming. :)
dang dude that sucks! how did you bend an axle? I take it you didnt go with 31's?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PO bent the axle, I've only had the car for 4 months and have only driven it twice.I went with 28 spline ( the axles cut into my wheel fund :( ). I'm not going to be taking the car to the track so harder 28's will do just fine. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts