Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 97 GT with a leaking oil cooler, Ive heard these things are a PITA and would like to get rid of it. Does any one know if a oil filter adapter from a 2004 GT will work? If so what part numbers should I be looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not , the 96-98 have an oil cooler sandwiched between the filter and the adapter, the 2004 do not, Im curious if anyone has done the swap and if they can provide part numbers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The point is the factory ones are known to leak oil into the coolant and vice versa. Also when they go bad while driving it will completely drain the oil in a matter of seconds. My question is for someone with knowledge of the swap, or someone with access to part numbers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i dont have part numbers but i know for a fact that it simply bolts on. they are interchangeable. if i were you i would entertain the idea of using a housing off of an 04 mercury mountaineer. their filter points forward and might make filter changes easier (im not sure about the mountaineer housings fitment, it is just something i have been curious about and havent had a chance to look into further for myself) just pick one up from the junk yard they are only like $10-20 there.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Iv never heard of or had that issue before man

the "swap" your talking about isnt something people do often or ever really.
Where did you hear of this being a major issue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mustangman Ill post as soon as I can results, plan on trying the salvage yard Mon morning

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
mine leaks right around there but its radiator fluid?

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
Forget it shark. He ain't listening. You should show him the car you built. Then he might drop the attitude

·
Registered
187 Posts
The housing itself isn't the issue. It is the gasket that mates it to the block. I change them at work all the time. The only reason I mentioned the mountaineer idea is the filter points foreward and might make filter changes easier. I kept my oil cooler because in shawn highland's (not shure if I spelled his name right but oh well it sounds right lol) book he speaks highly of the factory cooler. He has WAY more experience with mod motors than me and I figured his .02 is better researchers than mine. On the other hand I know of several people that delete them due to lack of trust. Im guessing the OP is one of those people.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
mine leaks right around there but its radiator fluid?
It is probably that corner of your radiator then not the oil cooler. I have the same leak and took me forever to figure out what it was ha.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mine leaks from my oil cooler.........................

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It is probably that corner of your radiator then not the oil cooler. I have the same leak and took me forever to figure out what it was ha.
yea ive watched it slowly drip tho. it doesnt come from radiator. it drips down my oil filter :/

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
U talking to me shark. I'll do it next winter if I have it still I guess it only drips a little and I just changed my oil and radiator fluid

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I' ve figured out the leak, for anyone with similar problem once oil is running from the weap hole the cooler is shot and a simple gasket will not fix it, I just replaced the gaskets and o-rings and it leaks just as bad, I now have ordered a filter adapter from a 99-04 mustang without the oil cooler and will eliminate the cooler all together, as far as the Mountaineer adapter it will not work without a custom radiator hose for anyone thinking about it. This is a common problem on Cobras.Hope this helps someone with same problem, Thanks for all the response from everyone that is exactly why I joined this forum.

·
Registered
187 Posts
glad you have it figure out bud. good luck.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Custom radiator hose is easy to make man

All of my hoses are custom.

Just but another hose and some copper fittings and some hose clamps and make it how you need...

Its cake

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
O.K. replaced the P.O.S. Factory oil cooler with part# F2LE-6884-BD and no leak. I have put about 250 miles on it and its leak free. it required felpro gasket #70415 so make sure anyone doing the swap "DONT USE THE BLUE GASKET" it will leak like crazy the one you need will be red in color.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts