Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had it for about a month now and i love it, so fun to drive. Now its time for performance and interior upgrades. Wondering what to do, besides a sound system lol

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
You need to provide more info for us to help :)

Welcome to MM & post :pics

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome dudes

Its a completely stock 97 base model coupe. Around 170xxx miles but drives extremely well(the previous owner tuned it fairly regularly, though it could use one). Thinking about putting a whole new engine/tranny in there. Either another 3.8 or a V8 from a gt, really unsure because i read a blog where a few mods to a 3.8 competed with a V8, Now im just rambling.lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you've got the cash to swap a v8 in, you should've just bought a v8 lol. I've got a 98 sixxer project car and believe me just about everything has to be changed. Short of getting a New Edge or SN95 GT for cheap as a donor and doing it yourself, it'll cost way too much. At that point you can go f/a with a decent h/c/i setup.

Don't make my mistakes. Hope it helped!

Sent from my cell.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Its a completely stock 97 base model coupe. Around 170xxx miles but drives extremely well(the previous owner tuned it fairly regularly, though it could use one). Thinking about putting a whole new engine/tranny in there. Either another 3.8 or a V8 from a gt, really unsure because i read a blog where a few mods to a 3.8 competed with a V8, Now im just rambling.lol
huh?

·
super serious
6,254 Posts
:welcome

As far as a swap goes, it would really only be worth it if you can find a donor gt for dirt cheap.

"Performance" and 97 v6 don't really go together. If you're already considering a swap, you really should just sell and get a gt before you start dumping money into a car that will never satisfy your desires.

:sorry

·
Zippy Zip Custom \/
1,167 Posts
Maybe this will help more. You cant get as much power fron the v6 as the v8 with similar bolt ons. If you do some head work (port and polish, valve job, larger valves), big cam, swap the intake setup for the 99-04 split port system, you would be sitting good, for a six. The only other place to go from there is forced induction and or nitrous. The v8 seems to be rather endless in power where as the v6 is pricely in power.

Sent from my phone, in your back seat...

·
Livin' the Dream
303 Posts
Save your money for a year, sell it, buy what you want. I wish I would have done that years before I bought the cobra. I'd have like 10k more in funds :lol: Welcome to MM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i found a V8 engine and tranny at an EXTREMELY LOW PRICE, great condition too. Its from an older gent, around 10xxx miles to date(5.0l v8). Now i wonder what all to do to get it to fit in correctly. heavier brake pads have been purchased already

·
Behold the black horse...
847 Posts
Unless you have some kind of emotional bond with that six, want to go without a car for a long time or just want to spend a ridiculous amount of money and time you should stop. You are young(first car) and you are not financially sound (you bought a V6 with 170k). Use this car as a stepping stone. That EXTREMELY LOW PRICE will not offset the money, time, headaches and ultimate letdown of your plans. Sorry man but you can wipe the sweat off your forehead, you just dodged a bullet............or did you......

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with everyone else but if you are attached to the car, do a V8 swap. Nothing beats a good 'ol v8 rumble

·
Registered
189 Posts
From what I've read on 6 to 8 swap, 94-95 can drop in a 302 without changing K Member. 96-98 can drop in a 4.6 without changing K Member. As far as doing a 302 in a 97 I dunno.

There's a thread on 3.7 forum covering the swap. I'd link ya but I'm on my cell.

Just my opinion, if you're dead set, find a donor New Edge Gt (01+) and transfer everything. At the OP, what are your plans anyways? DD, drag, auto-x, etc?

Sent from my cell.

·
IG: opiesvt
8,782 Posts
Welcome, Murk!

Save up a bit more and buy a GT. Seriously. Way better foundation to play with.

Anyway, good luck with your plans for the car!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts