Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The belt squeals on my virtually stock Cobra (almost 100K miles) above 2500 rpm. Any ideas on how to fix it? Also, I was planning on eventually modding the underdrive pulleys... would this be a good time to do that while I'm fixing the squeals?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I'm assuming you've already tried replacing the belt. Are you certain it's the belt slipping on the surface of a pulley that's creating the squeal and not the idler or tensioner pulley bearings? Failure of those bearings is a pretty common source of a "squeal", and with almost 100K miles, I'd bet it's the source of your noise. Use an automotive stethoscope to pinpoint the source of the noise and report back.

And what do you mean by "modding the underdrive pulleys"? Are you talking about installing a set or doing something to ones you already have?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just had the same problem with mine. Changed the belt Tensioner and the squealing is gone. :)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
You can put some hair spray on the belt and it should stop for alittle while. Your going to have to replace the belt for a complete fix.

I would honestly not bother with underdrive pullies. Berly any hp gains

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm assuming you've already tried replacing the belt. Are you certain it's the belt slipping on the surface of a pulley that's creating the squeal and not the idler or tensioner pulley bearings? Failure of those bearings is a pretty common source of a "squeal", and with almost 100K miles, I'd bet it's the source of your noise. Use an automotive stethoscope to pinpoint the source of the noise and report back.

And what do you mean by "modding the underdrive pulleys"? Are you talking about installing a set or doing something to ones you already have?
I haven't tried anything yet to fix it. I'm not even sure it's the belts, I'm just guessing though. It could be either of those. By underdrive pulleys I was talking about installing a one-piece set from March or Steeda. You think they're worth it?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Try the free stuff first. Pul off the belt, spin each by hand, maybe even pull them off for inspection and listen/ feel each

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can put some hair spray on the belt and it should stop for alittle while. Your going to have to replace the belt for a complete fix.

I would honestly not bother with underdrive pullies. Berly any hp gains
Roger that. What all did you do to get 296 at the wheels?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
pssst. i have 293 rwhp lol. his shizz is a beast thugh man.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I haven't tried anything yet to fix it. I'm not even sure it's the belts, I'm just guessing though. It could be either of those. By underdrive pulleys I was talking about installing a one-piece set from March or Steeda. You think they're worth it?
The Steeda set isn't bad, just don't expect to see a big hp gain. I don't have any experience with the March set.

And pssst...I was at 407 rwhp last season. As soon as I pull the car out of winter hibernation I'll put it back on the rollers to see where it stands now.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Roger that. What all did you do to get 296 at the wheels?
Mods are in my garage, but its really just a full bolt on car with a good 93 octane tune.

pssst. i have 293 rwhp lol. his shizz is a beast thugh man.
We will have to run them again now that you have the mod motor! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts