Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this is my first mustang which i purchased recently. It is stock except for K&N cold air, flowmaster mufflers to 2.5" tips, stock x pipe. The car is wayy too quiet right now, i took a quick look at the exhaust when the car was parked from the ground, im pretty sure it has dual cats because i saw O2 sensors upstream from them. They all looked oem, does this seem right? What would be the consequence to getting rid of the conv's entirely and just left the O2 sensors? Any suggestions or clarification of what possible routes i could take to get that sound, and hopefully gain a couple hp would be greatly appreciated. This weekend i will take a video so you people can hear it as is, it sounds good, really clean and crisp, but not deep enough for the style of car im going for.

Just incase this is important, this isn't a california car, one local BC owner, i'm planning for 4.10 gears next spring for sure, maybe an intake man and longtube headers if i have the time/money in the summer.

Thanks in advance

leverfever

·
Registered
448 Posts
The second set of O2 sensors, farthest away from the motor, after the cats, only test to see if the cats are working. I actually totally got rid of my cats and the second set of O2 sensors. Your check engine light will just come on (probably not even till about 40 miles or so on the car after) because they tell if the cats are working and if they are gone, they aren't working. Same if you completely get rid of the second sensors. Then you can get the second sensors tuned out pretty easily too. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
dude get an o/r x or h pipe and it'll give it more sound. u can get some mil elims pretty cheap and youll be good to go. it should help free up a few ponies too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The second set of O2 sensors, farthest away from the motor, after the cats, only test to see if the cats are working. I actually totally got rid of my cats and the second set of O2 sensors. Your check engine light will just come on (probably not even till about 40 miles or so on the car after) because they tell if the cats are working and if they are gone, they aren't working. Same if you completely get rid of the second sensors. Then you can get the second sensors tuned out pretty easily too. Hope that made sense.
Ok good, that makes alot of sense thanks for the post. I almost wish the exhuast came stock so i could do it exactly how i want, instead of building around a current setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dude get an o/r x or h pipe and it'll give it more sound. u can get some mil elims pretty cheap and youll be good to go. it should help free up a few ponies too.
I've heard alot obout those, mostly good. Some people even run without a programmer or mil elims without a problem with flowmasters and o/r x. Some people say they lose a couple hp's and mpg before tuning. Is it true you lose a small amount of power down low to pull better in mid to high range?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Your stock mid pipe should actually have SIX catalytic converters on it. Going with an off road X or H pipe will help your exhaust flow alot better and make the exhaust noticably louder. Americanmuscle.com is one of the vendors for this site and offers a discount for a set of wire in MIL's for about $17.00 with a discount code. The code is in the vendor section under American muscle. I have a set and they work flawlessly.

Your mufflers will acount for the most noticable sound difference than the midpipe. Look around on youtube and find the one you like the best. I think the magnapacks sound great, but am happy with the borla's that i currently have as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
X 2 on the MIL eliminators. they work great on my 98 GT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your stock mid pipe should actually have SIX catalytic converters on it. Going with an off road X or H pipe will help your exhaust flow alot better and make the exhaust noticably louder. Americanmuscle.com is one of the vendors for this site and offers a discount for a set of wire in MIL's for about $17.00 with a discount code. The code is in the vendor section under American muscle. I have a set and they work flawlessly.

Your mufflers will acount for the most noticable sound difference than the midpipe. Look around on youtube and find the one you like the best. I think the magnapacks sound great, but am happy with the borla's that i currently have as well.
You are right sir, i thought at first there were 4 and 2 resinators, but yes SIX cats. Im going to take off at least 2, probably 4 and i don't think my check engine light should even come on if i leave the O2 sensor on upstream from the first set of cats right? If your check engine light comes on from a known factor (such as the O2 sensor) is there any way to know if you ACTUALLY need your engine checked? not all problems can be seen or heard and i would hate to blow my motor because my CEL is stuck on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
no you won't blow your engine and with a handheld tuner you can turn that code off. I think autozone may even do that for free. at least they did it for me..

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
The car needs the info from the 2 upstream sensors to run properly. If you are not going to use the MIL's, your check engine light will be on constantly and you will only know if you have tripped another / different code by checking it with a handheld reader.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
straightpipes :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts