Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched several forums and I'm still looking. I dont claim to be a mechanic, but I do have basic skills and tools.

Here is what I am fighting: My wife has a 98 GT automatic with 98xxx miles. We have had the car for about 3 years (15000 miles). At the end of last year the check engine would come on occasionally but would go off usually before it was shut off (never really stayed on). Also it seemed to develop a leak in the fuel system somewhere like the pump lost its prime overnight. To deal with that I would just key on a couple times to restablish pressure (we never had a pressure issue other than when first starting). We parked it for the winter and when I tried to drive it the first time this year the battery was dead. So I charged it and took it for a ride. All was good till I reached normal temp. When at temp it has no power, spits and sputters and lurches and pukes at idle. It does seem to run hotter than what I consider normal but it has never overheated (on us) and runs at the middle of the temp gauge.

What I have done so far: Gas treatment, checked all fluids, new plugs (I did have water in most plug holes), cleaned MAF sensor, ran codes at autozone (p302 and 1151), unplugged the coolant temp sensor (to see if the fan kicked on and it did), and pulled my hair out.

Any suggestions or comments ( I know I'm an idiot for not checking into some of this in the fall) are welcome. Please help. I do not have compression testers or fuel pressure testers to check that but maybe it would be a good time to invest.

Thanks in advance
Jeremy

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
It's more than likely your spark plug wires. When they get water around the base ( You stated your plug holes had water sitting in them.) they tend to burn out. Several of us learned this the hard way.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Spark plug wires can make a huge difference. Trust me ive seen cars come into the shop that will barley run, new wires and runs no problem. Also correct me if im wrong, isnt the temp gauges on these cars not very accurate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts