Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey in new here and I have a 99 cobra with 43k miles. I recently either a spun bearing or rod knock. Just looking for some advice.

Basically I've narrowed my options down to the following.

Mmr street mod 500 cast iron block for 2200$

Send my block to mmr and have it rebuilt for approximately 1600$ as long as my crank is ok.

Buy a complete long block from a 98 lincoln mark viii. Tear it down to the short block and swap the cobra parts on to it. 850$

Of course I know I'll need all the gaskets and a torque wrench and all that but as of right now I'm leaning towards the mark viii motor simply because its the fastest and cheapest route (this is my daily driver). But my main reason is because I will have an extra set of everything and because then I can build my original short block to put back in down the road. I'm looking into Livernois stroker rotating assembly's already .

My question is this. What all will I need for the mk viii motor to make it work? I understand the cobra engine has an 8 bolt main and the lincoln has a 6bolt. Will the flywheel from the lincoln still work? I also know that the lincoln has a cast crank and not a forged one. But that's ok because it's not permanent and won't be boosted or anything.

Any tips on pulling the engine. Out the top since ill be in my garage.

Any input would help a lot. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I understand the cobra engine has an 8 bolt main and the lincoln has a 6bolt.
The Mark 8 has an automatic trans and it's flexplate will not work with a manual trans. As stated above, you can use a 6 bolt flywheel from a GT. BTW, it does not have "6 bolt mains", but its crank is drilled for a 6 bolt flywheel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my bad. Typo. The lincoln motor only has 75k miles on it so I think it'll hold for a year or so while I build my other block. Any input on Livernois stroker rotating assembly's? Seems like they're pretty tough.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also. Before this car a had a mineral grey gt vert with a vortech v2 with a stock bottom end that dynoed 365 hp so I think the lincoln crank will do just fine for the time being. Like I said the mods on my cobra are as follows.

Bassani ceramic coated heads
Bassani catted x pipe
Bassani cat back
Bbk throttle body
Bbk cai
Tremec tko500 (junk)
Lakewood bell housing
Ford racing 3.73s
Aluminum driveshaft
Centerforce clutch
Steeda tri ax
Line lock (currently capped off)
Tokiko d spec struts
Eibach springs
Caster/camber plates
Rear air bags for a bigger rear tire
Mild tune which I need to get redone

I think that's everything. I haven't dynoed it but I'd guess right around 320-330 at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The cast crank is good for as mucn n/a power as you can throw at it.

Any stroker kit is good as long as the crank isn't made by Eagle. The Livernpois and MMR kits aren't made by them and are good quality parts like Manley and Kellog. MMRs is selling for around $1800.

The only mods you have that add power are:
Bassani ceramic coated headers
Bassani catted x pipe
Bassani cat back

I'd put your power at 310rw.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok plans have sort of changed. Instead of swapping all my stuff onto the lincoln motor I'm looking for a Mach 1 long block. I had one all set up but the guy isn't answering right now. So I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know where I can get one? I live in maryland and would prefer something local. Any advice helps. Thanks

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You can also do an aviator motor. Normally much cheaper. Just reuse your intake and t/b setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts