Discussion Starter #1
what kind is it
and is it alluminum or cast iron

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
MustangMatt96GT said:
Yeah the GTs are all aluminum!
No they're not. This question comes up all the time and I don't understand why. The GT's ALL came with an iron block. The 03-04 Cobra came with an iron block as well. The iron block will handle more power than the aluminum block. I have personally seen an aluminum block that was twisted from having too much power put through it (about 1300 HP).

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
acmillr said:
MustangMatt96GT said:
No they're not. This question comes up all the time and I don't understand why. The GT's ALL came with an iron block. The 03-04 Cobra came with an iron block as well. The iron block will handle more power than the aluminum block. I have personally seen an aluminum block that was twisted from having too much power put through it (about 1300 HP).
Why does a Mach 1 have an aluminum block when a GT has an iron block if it's so much weaker? Wouldn't you put better quality parts in a more expensive car?

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
acmillr said:
MustangMatt96GT said:
WOW I feel stupid! Must have been tired from work cuz I definitely knew that! My bad

EDIT!! All GT blocks are Cast Iron!!

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
Garhfer said:
acmillr said:
MustangMatt96GT said:
Why does a Mach 1 have an aluminum block when a GT has an iron block if it's so much weaker? Wouldn't you put better quality parts in a more expensive car?
Ford did that to save weight. In most cars, you will never push more power than the aluminum block can handle. I think it is obvious that Ford engineers know the iron block is stronger- look a what the 03-04 Cobra has.

·
Registered
717 Posts
acmillr said:
Ford did that to save weight. In most cars, you will never push more power than the aluminum block can handle. I think it is obvious that Ford engineers know the iron block is stronger- look a what the 03-04 Cobra has.
+1 The only reason for an aluminum block is to save on weight. It helps save on fuel if your moving less weight around.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
coffinator6 said:
my 01 has an iron block. all gt blocks are iron unless the block has been upgraded by the previous owner.
There is no upgrade for the iron block if you are talking about power handling capability.
Why is this so hard to understand??????????????????????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts