Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear end on my 99 v6 recently took a crap on me and i need to replace it.
i've called around to my local wrecking yards and found quite a few gt rear ends for the same price as the v6's, so i figure i can just put a gt rear end and get better gears and a t-lock for the same price. the problems is when i started calling around to repair shops to see how much it would cost to have it installed, a few of them told me i would have to get a whole new tranny to go along with the gt rear end. that sounds a little fishy to me, so are these shops just trying to get more money out of me or is this something that will need to be done?

many thanks :)

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
Smack the shop guys in the face, if it is from the same year mustang it will bolt right up

·
Registered
557 Posts
so then i should just go ahead and pick up a gt rear end then?
Is it everything including axles, or just the diff, gears, and housing/cover?

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Probably gunna need the control arms, springs and a driveshaft

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it everything including axles, or just the diff, gears, and housing/cover?
yeah, it's everything, including axles.

i should be good to go right? outside of having my speedo off a little bit, are there any problems with doing this swap?

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
yeah, it's everything, including axles.

i should be good to go right? outside of having my speedo off a little bit, are there any problems with doing this swap?
nope everything should just bolt right up if it is out of the same year car

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
so it has to be out of a 99 gt? the 00-04's wont work?
They should all work, but I am almost positive you will need a new driveshaft or maybe just the u-joints?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
all you have to do is change some yolks... that is all... try to grab the yolk that came off the GT drive train too if you could

edit:
u joints... not yolk ... sorry

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
They should all work, but I am almost positive you will need a new driveshaft or maybe just the u-joints?
yeah 99-04 will fit, and you will need u-joints but those are got at autozone

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
you might look into stiffer Lower Control Arms since your there... might be able to snag some off ebay for about $100 that way your rear end will sit in place better and you won't have any wheel hop

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright sweet, thanks guys. so i'll check the u joints on the gt and see if they're still good, if not i'll just pick some new ones up, they're only like 35 bucks.

i think i'll wait on the driveshaft too. i'm only going to be driving this mustang for a couple more months and then i'm going to sell it to some lucky kid with 4 grand. i'm going to try and get a real gt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts