21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
K1w1
941 Posts
I'm hearing ya :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great write up, one question if I'm doing the heater core could I lean the dash forward enough to slip it out or would I have to completely remove it

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Don't know if a write up has been done before on this topic so I made one on another thread. Figured this might be sticky worthy.

Ok, TUTORIAL FOR REMOVING DASH... This is assuming you have already removed the surrounding interior pieces(kick panels, center console, shifter bezel, seats)

1. Well for starters, start your car, turn your wheel to the right full steering lock, turn off your car, lock wheel straight, remove key.

2. Pop hood and remove the positive battery terminal from the battery(not the terminal itself, just the wire lead lol)

3. Now that your tires are aimed for a right hand turn, and your battery is disconnected, pull your drivers side inner fender(splash guard) by removing all screws on the outer rim of the fender, and the push pins against the K member behind the wheel. No need to remove it, just loosen it, and pull it forward.

4. Look up toward the rearmost wheel well and you will see a large wiring connector with a 10mm headed bolt in the center. Remove the bolt and pull the connector away from the firewall.

5. There are two push release levers on the harness you just removed the other harness from, push those in, and push the connector thru the firewall.

6. Now behind each kick panel are 3 connectors that tie into a bay of connectors that are affixed to the car with bolt on brackets. Drivers side disconnect all 3, passenger side only disconnect the two leading into the dash(the others tuck up against the body)

7. Right below the glove box are two connectors, remove the one going into the heater box, and the other is the radio antenna. While you are down there disconnect the vacuum lines for the HVAC controls.

8. Back to the driver side, there is a black box to the left of the steering column, disconnect all harnesses leading into it.

9. Under the dash on the drivers side, on the tranny tunnel, is an aluminum box held in place by two green 10mm bolts. Slide the red connector toward the wire side of the connector, and remove from airbag unit.

10. Now that we have most of the connections removed, we can tackle the bolts. There are:

-3 under the defroster panel at the front of the dash(5/16" or 7mm)

-2 on either side of the tranny tunnel directly below radio bezel(5/16" or 7mm)

-1 behind glovebox near passenger side HVAC duct(5/16" or 7mm)

-1 behind drivers side HVAC duct accessible from under dash(5/16" or 7mm)

-1 on the lowest outside portion of passenger side dash behind rubber trim(5/16" or 7mm)

-1 on the lowest outside portion of driver side dash behind rubber trim(15mm)

-1 on the steering column directly below u-joint(10mm)

11. Now that all accessible electrical connections and mounting hardware has been removed/disconnected, we can gently rock the dash rearward to reveal the last connection. It is a cable connector with a large round plastic housing that goes into the heater box almost directly in the middle of the firewall. It has a few clips around the center of it. Gently pry these until the housing comes free and remove.

12. Now get yourself a buddy and continue rocking the dash rearward until it lays almost horizontal, lift, and remove.

If I forgot something let me know, because I wrote this all off of memory.

I have removed my dash no less than 20 times while fitting a cage on weekends and driving it daily on week days.

No joke I get this thing out in no more than 15 minutes, it's that easy.

And please don't listen to anybody that says you have to remove the steering wheel, steering column, airbags, radio, HVAC controls, etc. all of that is entirely unnecessary and may add hours of work for you, plus more connections to forget/mixup, and hardware to loose/misplace.

Hope that helped some of you...

:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I saw kinda thinking

:nopity:

·
Registered
85 Posts
not too bad!!!

i used ur thread today as a guide and it was pretty damn helpful, got mine out inna bout 30 minutes because of a few missed plugs, but got it in did what i had to and got it back in with in one hr, with an extra hand to flip it in n out! here is a pic of the plug in the wheel well alot of people seem to forget this one and a pic of it out!!! Def gonna be easier next time!!!

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

21 - 27 of 27 Posts