Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm new to moddedmustangs and mustangs period so I thought I would post about my experiences.

Well my name is Evan, I served 5yrs in the USN as a helicopter mechanic, and am now serving in the USNR in a Civil Affairs unit. My car history is;
96 Honda Civic swapped and turbo'd, 91 BMW 323, 89 Mazda RX7 Turbo, 95 Nissan 240sx swapped and turbo'd, 85 Toyota Landcruiser, and now my 99 Mustang GT! Oh and I've owned countless motorcycles ending with an 05 GSX-R 750.

So recently I purchased my first domestic vehicle ever! my black 35th Ann. 99 GT. So far I am very happy with my purchase, I picked it up needing engine work for $3000 with 114k miles. It came with an unknown brand CAI, Bassani 2 Cat Xpipe, Flowmaster Catbacks, Eibach lowering springs (my guess would be 1" and 1.5"), Mach1 system, and billet grill.

Problems include:
3 bad cops (not anymore thanks to B0B)
Wasted CATS on the Xpipe
Massive Exhaust leak with stock H-pipe installed (for smog)
Alternator light is on but alternator checks 5.0
I'm assuming some fouled plugs(not anymore thanks to...new plugs)
Car came with some 20" chrome wheels 3 of which are wearing 245/35's while 1 is wearing a 240/30 that is backward rotating!

So I'm going to tell what my plans are, I will be listing them in order of priority. oh and I'm unemployed with a family so budget is an issue. please provide any opinions or advice pertaining to getting my car in tip top shape.

1. replace ALL cops hopefully finding some good ones at a local wreckyard (new plugs ofcourse) (DONE!)

2. Keep working on my exhaust leak (everytime I mess with it, it gets a little better)

3. full fluid change w/ royal purple

4. Get rid of the CHROME 20's that came on the car hopefully w/ some 18x9 and 18x10 black saleens which I will be custom painting a red lip onto.

5. Tint taillights, Buy dual projector black housing headlights and tint them. Install HID's along with HID projector fogs.

6. Front lip and grill delete with offset GT emblem in place of pony (decided on the red 4.6 high performance emblem instead of GT)

7. 4.11's (not any more as I have 3.90's already)

8. Shorty headers (probably move this down the list below S/C)

9. subframe spacers

10. New tranny

11. Standalone and Wideband

12. Whipple S/C and supporting mods. (no Whipple for 2v so probably KB or full Termi drivetrain swap and whipple)

Sorry if my post is hard to read I did alot of modifying post writing. Oh and if anyone wants some 20's I will gladly trade for some 18's and reluctantly trade for some 17's or stocks.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Looks like like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do with your car! I don't belive whipple makes a blower for our 2v's though. Kenne Bell FTMFW!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wecome!
someone correct me if i am wrong but I was always under the impression that HID's cannot be used with projector style headlights?
^agree; I am pretty sure whipple does not make a sc for our 2v's

·
Registered
282 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your mustang! Whipple doesn't make a blower for the 2v but I would go with a Torktech or a Kenne Bell. A good site if you need ngk plugs and other stuff is rpmoutlet.com. Well good luck on your project.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow thank you guys for the welcomes!

HID's are best with projector headlights.

and I don't really know anything about S/C's as far as who makes what and what fits our cars but I just know I don't want centrifugal or roots persay. If I were to do a turbine I would do turbo and I don't like the inefficiency of roots type chargers. so twin screw is the way I want to go. I may be trying to find a cobra drivetrain to fix the no whipple for 2v problem but on a budget that becomes difficult! lol. anyways thanks again for the inputs. and I'm glad to be here. So far the maturity level is heads above honda-tech and the 240 forums I used to frequent.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You seem to have a good handle on what you want. As they say, plan the build then build the plan. By far the most popular twin-screw is Kenne Bell. But superchargers can push our motors past their limits. The weakest part of our motors is the rods and pistons. 450 bhp is pretty much the recommended limit. Good luck on your build.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Wecome!
someone correct me if i am wrong but I was always under the impression that HID's cannot be used with projector style headlights?
^agree; I am pretty sure whipple does not make a sc for our 2v's
I have HID's in mine lol. Had to mess with the bracket for them to fit though. But in the end they do look pretty damn good :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
well hell lol it looks like I will be looking into hids now that I know they can be used with projectors. I have no idea where I read that but i could have swore it was on here haha:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
some cheap ass ones from ebay. :rolleyes: They have the blue LEDs in em, and didn't fit very well. The adjuster screws were also stripped. These were new btw. haha I am thinkin I'd rather have some smoked stockers with the hid kit but haven't decided if I wanna throw down the cash to do so.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
welcome! if it has a few bad COPS i have a set of stock ones in perfect working condition, let me know if you're interested.

sounds like a fun build! first off, that exhaust leak could have messed some things up. if its REALLY bad it will make your o2 sensors read funny and lean it out and either burn a valve (causing a missfire) or break a piston (unlikely on a stock motor). i'd get the exhaust leak fixed, then do plugs and COPS. i'd do a compression test too just to be safe, it will give you a good idea on what direction to take as far as modding further or getting a new motor. does the car have a check engine light on? if so get it read and that will tell you if a cop is bad, and it could have a "system too lean" fault stored too. for HID's check out VVME i'm running dual beam's in my headlights and singles in my fogs, couldn't be happier and they are super cheap but the kits are high quality. i was going to do projector lights too but decided they just don't look good on mustangs. you would be much happier with these

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
lets see some pics of ur stang homie

oh welcome to the club, theres some pretty fly people here :cool:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok well lots of responses! Thanks to all.

I love the projector look when the lights are on but hate the ebayish close up look so I will be tinting them pretty dark taping off the beam paths and a small rectangle for the turn signals. I will also not be connecting any halos. I had projectors on my 240 and they were my favorite part of the whole car almost.
I will be buying the projector fogs (leaving LEDs disconnected) and running like 3000k hids and possibly even tinting the lenses yellow.

As far as my plan I sorta have one but I don't at the same time. I'm the type of guy that after the bills are paid and I have $X what on my list can I get for it. Ofcourse that's after the essentials.

I also forgot to add cobra brakes to the list aswell. Oh and those Mgp caliper covers are pretty sexy IMHO.

My build plans will likely top out at around 400whp as to stay daily drivable. I have a Gsxr for sub 12 strip times.

Again thanks to all for inputs!

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
welcome and good luck on your build hope you get all problems out of the way so you can start having fun

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to the site bro. And good choice on the navy, im about to sign my nuclear engineer papers next week. But i do agree to getting rid of the 20's. And i would really think about the 4.11's, they suck on the highway. But the car sounds like its gonna be pretty sick. Good luck on the build.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Be careful with the nuke rating man, alot of them never make it to the fleet. Just make sure you're ready for the hardest schooling anyone you even know has been through. Don't get caught up with the losers and keep in your books.

Oh and I'll get some pics up asap.

I'm currently looking for any 17 or 18" wheels to trade. The 20's are in great condition minus 1 tire but I can't stand having them on my car. Maybe if it were a truck or suv but not a stang!

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
no problem man! glad i could help!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just wanna say that you are a king among men B0B great price, super quick shipment, COPS work great and my car is now probably smoggable hopefully with the exhaust leak and all. So far it has been the best performance mod I've done! lol! from 5-7cyl to 8 FTMFW YO!!!

I would suck a fart from your butthole!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts